The Minister for Planning has received a request from the University of Melbourne to prepare, adopt and approve Amendment C371 to the Melbourne Planning Scheme by exercising his powers under section 20(4) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (the Act).
Prior to making a decision on the request, the Minister for Planning is undertaking consultation under section 20(5) of the Act.
The amendment for C371 seeks to facilitate the use and development of the land for a new campus for the University of Melbourne. The campus will accommodate spaces for the Melbourne School and Engineering and Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning and would be supported by a range of associated functions including shared workspaces, networking hubs, meeting and collaboration spaces, retail and other uses.
The amendment would allow the land to be developed in accordance with the incorporated document, The University of Melbourne Fishermans Bend Campus, The University of Melbourne.
The incorporated document provides an outline of the general form and layout of development but includes a requirement for a masterplan to be prepared for the site and would require more detailed development plans to be provided for approval before development can commence.
An online information session hosted by the University of Melbourne will be held on the 4 June 2020 at 10.30am.
The session will be for one hour and will include:
- An introduction by the Department of Environment Land Water and Planning and information about the request made to the Minister for Planning.
- A description of the proposal by the University of Melbourne
- Questions from attendees
- Wrap and next steps.
Have your say
Learn about the proposed amendment C371 that seeks to facilitate the use and development of land for a new campus for the University of Melbourne at 241 Salmon Street, Port Melbourne
Proposed planning scheme amendment for Univerisity of Melbourne
Proposed planning scheme amendment C371 for University the University of Melbourne
Submissions opens on
9.00am - Wednesday 27 May 2020
Submissions close on
5.00pm - Friday 26 June 2020
Submissions have now closed.
Please note that matters relating to heritage protection of the buildings on the site are being considered separately via a process to consider their inclusion on the Victorian Heritage Register (VHR). Information about the VHR process can be obtained by contacting Heritage Victoria on 03 7022 6390 or by email at email@example.com
The amendment is supported by reports submitted by the University of Melbourne including:
- Draft incorporated document University of Melbourne Fishermans Bend Campus (PDF, 258.9 KB)
- Letter from University of Melbourne requesting planning support for the project (PDF, 487.6 KB)
- University of Melbourne Fishermans Bend Campus Draft Masterplan prepared by Grimshaw Architects (PDF, 39.9 MB)
- University of Melbourne Fishermans Bend Campus Draft Masterplan prepared by Grimshaw Architects - section one (PDF, 36.3 MB)
- University of Melbourne Fishermans Bend Campus Draft Masterplan prepared by Grimshaw Architects - section two (PDF, 18.7 MB)
- Town planning report prepared by Urbis (PDF, 8.1 MB)
- Transport Impact Assessment prepared by GTA (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- Sustainability Framework prepared by AECOM (PDF, 824.0 KB)
- Waste Strategy prepared by AECOM (PDF, 381.3 KB)
- Amenity Impact Statement prepared by GHD (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- Economic Impact Analysis prepared by ACIL Allen (PDF, 945.1 KB)
- Voluntary Cultural Heritage Management Plan prepared by Andrew Long and Associates (PDF, 18.2 MB)
- Memorandum of Heritage Advice prepared by Bryce Raworth (PDF, 587.4 KB)