On this page:
The Minister for Planning is the responsible authority for:
- new non-government primary or secondary schools
- construction of buildings and works at existing non-government schools with an estimated cost of development of $3 million or more
- ancillary education centre uses, such as a childcare centre or kindergarten, undertaken in conjunction with a non-government primary or secondary school on the same land, or contiguous land in the same ownership
We have established planning laws and a dedicated planning team to fast track non-government school planning approvals for new schools and upgrades. This applies to all non-government schools regardless of funding source.
The fast track assessment pathways are graduated according to the size, scale and location of non-government school development.
Non-government schools may apply using the VicSmart planning process for a maximum cost of development up to $500,000 for the following zones:
- Clause 32.03 Low Density Residential Zone
- Clause 32.04 Mixed Use Zone
- Clause 32.05 Township Zone
- Clause 32.07 Residential Growth Zone
- Clause 32.08 General Residential Zone
- Clause 32.09 Neighbourhood Residential Zone
Applications must meet all other VicSmart eligibility criteria.
Page last updated: 11/10/23