Learn about draft Melbourne Planning Scheme Amendment C408melb and planning permit PA2101202, which is a proposed combined permit and amendment under Division 5 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987. The draft permit and amendment apply to land at 86-96 Stubbs Street, Kensington.
Draft amendment C408melb proposes to make the Minister for Planning the responsible authority for administering planning permit PA2101202 for ‘Assemble Kensington’, which proposes the use and development of an eight-storey building comprising dwellings (including affordable housing), office, food and drink premises, and a reduction in car parking requirements.
What the draft amendment does
The Amendment proposes to facilitate the assessment, approval, and administration of the ‘Assemble Kensington’ proposal.
Specifically, the Amendment proposes to amend the Schedule to Clause 72.01 to make the Minister for Planning the responsible authority for administering planning permit PA2101202 for land at 86-96 Stubbs Street, Kensington and any matters required by planning permit PA2101202 to be endorsed, approved, or done to the satisfaction of the responsible authority.
What the permit seeks
Planning permit PA2101202 seeks to allow the use and development of the land for the construction of an eight-storey building (with one basement level) comprising dwellings and office, a reduction in car parking requirements, and associated works at 86-96 Stubbs Street, Kensington.
The proposed development is known as ‘Assemble Kensington’.
Specifically, the development proposal consists of:
- Demolition and removal of all existing buildings, structures, and trees.
- Construction of an eight-storey building (with one basement level below) containing:
- Basement level to be used primarily for car/motorcycle parking, cycle parking, storage cages, and services.
- Ground floor level to be used as office, food and drink premises, one visitor dwelling, communal purposes ancillary to the dwellings, open space, as well as other services such as bicycle parking, site access (vehicle and pedestrian), and waste storage.
- First to seventh floors to contain 198 residential dwellings, including 32 x studios, 25 x 1-beds, 104 x 2-beds and 38 x 3-beds.
- Roof level to contain communal spaces, including a futsal court, pet zone and vegetable garden, as well as plant, air conditioning condensers and solar photovoltaic panels
- 96 car parking spaces, 8 motorcycle spaces, 434 bicycle spaces and 53 storage cages
- A requirement for a minimum of 70% of dwellings to be ‘affordable housing’ to households with a ‘moderate income households range’ in accordance with the definitions in the Planning and Environment Act 1987, up until the point of sale for each individual dwelling.
Before making a decision about whether to proceed with the proposed amendment and permit, the Minister for Planning is undertaking consultation under section 20(5) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 to understand the views of certain parties and to inform the drafting of both the amendment and permit.
Following the consultation period, the Minister may decide to refer this matter to the Priority Projects Standing Advisory Committee for further advice before making a decision about whether to prepare, adopt and approve the amendment and permit. If you make a submission, you will be informed if the matter is referred to the Committee.
The Minister for Planning has received a request from the Assemble Group to facilitate the proposal through the recently established Development Facilitation Program.The Victorian Government has identified Victoria’s building and construction sector as a key mechanism to revitalise Victoria’s economy during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
The Development Facilitation Program was established by the Minister following the success of the Building Victoria’s Recovery Taskforce Priority Project Fast-Track pilot program to speed up the assessment and determination of identified priority projects that deliver investment into the Victorian economy, keep people in jobs, and provide a substantial public benefit.
If you would like to discuss this matter further, please email Tim Wild, Senior Planner, Priority Projects Team, Statutory Planning Services, Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.
Have your say
Find out how to get involved and have your say on specific planning reviews
Melbourne Planning Scheme Amendment C408melb
Submissions must be made in writing to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.
Submissions opens on
12.00am - Tuesday 18 May 2021
Submissions close on
5.00pm - Friday 04 June 2021
You may make a submission by emailing email@example.com.
View the draft amendment documents:
- Draft explanatory report (DOC, 1.5 MB)
- Draft instruction sheet (DOCX, 50.6 KB)
- Draft planning permit PA2101202 (DOCX, 90.8 KB)
- Draft Schedule to Clause 72.01 (Responsible Authority for this Planning Scheme) (PDF, 971.1 KB)
The draft amendment is supported by the following plans and reports:
- Architectural Plans Part 1 (PDF, 18.0 MB)
- Architectural Plans Part 2 (PDF, 7.3 MB)prepared by Hayball Architects
- Planning Report (PDF, 3.0 MB) prepared by Planning and Property Partners
- Landscape Report - Part 1 (PDF, 19.3 MB)
Landscape Report - Part 2 (PDF, 13.4 MB)
Landscape Report - Part 3 (PDF, 9.1 MB) prepared by Oculus
- Urban Context Report - Part 1 (PDF, 4.6 MB)
- Urban Context Report - Part 2 (PDF, 16.9 MB)
- Urban Context Report - Part 3 (PDF, 19.1 MB)
- Urban Context Report - Part 4 (PDF, 19.4 MB)
- Urban Context Report - Part 5 (PDF, 18.8 MB)
- Urban Context Report - Part 6 (PDF, 14.4 MB) prepared by Oculus
- Acoustic Report (PDF, 12.2 MB) prepared by Acoustic Logic
- Arboricultural Report (PDF, 2.7 MB) prepared by Tree Logic
- Environmental Assessment Report - Part 1 (PDF, 18.6 MB)
- Environmental Assessment Report - Part 2 (PDF, 19.4 MB)
- Environmental Assessment Report - Part 3 (PDF, 19.2 MB) prepared by Senversa
- Environmental Sustainable Development (PDF, 9.6 MB) prepared by Atelier ten
- Traffic Report (PDF, 2.9 MB) prepared by Traffix Group
- Waste Management Plan (PDF, 2.7 MB) prepared by Traffix Group
- Certificate of Title (PDF, 71.5 KB)