Proponent: Major Road Projects Victoria
Major Road Projects Victoria proposes to continue the Yan Yean Road upgrade from Kurrak Road to Bridge Inn Road, referred to as Stage 2.
The proposal includes:
- Duplication of 5.5 km of Yan Yean Road, between Kurrak Road, Yarrambat, and Bridge Inn Road, Doreen, from two to four lanes
- Two new roundabouts at Heard Avenue and Youngs Road
- Five new signalised intersections at Bannons Lane, Jorgensen Avenue, North Oatlands Road, Orchard Road and Bridge Inn Road
- Upgrades to the existing signalised intersection at Ironbark Road, including an additional right hand turning lane, slip lane, and traffic island
- New street lighting at all intersections, road signage and landscaping
- New 3-metre-wide shared use path on the western side and 1.2 metre wide footpath on the eastern side of Yan Yean Road
- Installation of continuous safety barriers running along both sides of the road and in the centre median for protection against tree and car collisions.
On 21 March 2021, the Minister for Planning completed his assessment under the Environment Effects Act 1978, which concludes the environment effects statement process for this project. The assessment has been provided to the Minister for Transport Infrastructure and to statutory decision-makers to inform approval decisions on the project, including for the planning scheme amendment.
An Inquiry and Advisory Committee (IAC) was appointed to consider the EES, draft planning scheme amendment and public submissions and inquire in to the environmental effects of the proposal.
A directions hearing was held on 27 October 2020. The IAC held a public hearing from 30 November to 16 December 2020 and provided its report to the Minister for Planning on 15 February 2021.
Exhibition of EES
The environment effects statement (EES) together with a draft planning scheme amendment was released for public comment for a period of 30 business days, from Monday 31 August to 5.00pm Friday 9 October 2020.
Read the copy of the notice announcing exhibition:
You can view the EES, draft Planning Scheme Amendment and any related documents at the Major Road Projects Victoria.
You can view the submissions received on Engage Victoria.
Information about the process that will follow the conclusion of the public exhibition period can be found in the 'Panel or Committee' tab.
Amended Procedures and Requirements
On 16 August 2020 the Minister issued amended procedures and requirements under the Environment Effects Act 1978 for the Yan Yean Road (Stage 2) Upgrade Project. The amended procedures and requirements relate to the public exhibition and inquiry stages of the EES process, and provide for special measures to be implemented in light of the coronavirus pandemic and restrictions that apply under Victoria’s state of emergency. In particular, they provide for interested people to register to obtain their own copies of EES documentation, in the absence of the usual public display of hard copies at physical exhibition points. The Minister has also given direction about the possible use of technology such as video-conferencing for hearings of the inquiry.
The Minister issued his original procedures and requirements in October 2018 when he decided that an EES was required. The original procedures and requirements appear as Appendix A in the Final Scoping Requirements for the EES.
The scoping requirements set out the matters to be investigated and documented in the EES.
Draft scoping requirements for this EES were on public exhibition between April and May 2019.
After considering public submissions on the draft scoping requirements, the Minister for Planning issued final scoping requirements in June 2019.
To assist with the interpretation of the final scoping requirements, please view questions and answers containing guidance on their development here.
Major Road Project Victoria has prepared a communication and consultation plan for the EES, outlining the opportunities and approaches for its community engagement during the preparation of the EES. The plan has been refined following advice from DELWP and the Technical Reference Group and is published on this web page. The consultation process may be adapted or modified to meet changing community needs and requirements.
Technical Reference Group
DELWP has convened an inter-agency Technical Reference Group at the request of the Minister for Planning to advise DELWP and the proponent on scoping and adequacy of the EES studies and documentation, as well as co-ordination of the EES process with other statutory processes for the project.
The organisations represented on the Technical Reference group are:
- Aboriginal Victoria
- Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung Cultural Heritage Aboriginal Corporation
- Melbourne Water
- Parks Victoria
- City of Whittlesea
- Nillumbik Shire Council
Technical Reference Group representatives are supported by internal experts on specific aspects of the EES studies.
Minister’s Decision EES Required
On 14 October 2018 the Minister for Planning required Major Road Projects Victoria to prepare an Environment Effects Statement (EES) under the Environment Effects Act 1978 to assess the potential environmental effects of the project.
If you have any questions or feedback, please get in touch via the contact details below
- Inquiry and Advisory Committee process and making a submission
Planning Panels Victoria
☎ Phone: 136 186
✉ Email: Planning.Panels@delwp.vic.gov.au
- Minsiter assessment and EES process
Impact Assessment Unit
☎ Phone: (03) 8622 7633
✉ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Proposed Yan Yean Road (Stage 2) Upgrade Project
Major Road Projects Victoria
☎ Phone: 1800 105 105
✉ Email: email@example.com
Please visit Major Road Projects for further information on upgrade.
- Yan Yean Road (Stage 2) Upgrade Minister's Assessment (PDF, 1.3 MB) or (DOCX, 2.7 MB)
- Appendix B - Environment Performance Requirements Table (PDF, 380.3 KB) or (DOCX, 135.7 KB)
- Final scoping requirements (PDF, 570.3 KB) or (DOCX, 1.5 MB)
- Draft scoping requirements (PDF, 717.7 KB) or (DOCX, 1.6 MB)
- Scoping requirements Q&A (PDF, 146.6 KB) or (DOCX, 116.5 KB)
EES Consultation Plan
- Yan Yean Road (Stage 2) Upgrade Inquiry and Advisory Committee Report (PDF, 2.5 MB) or (DOCX, 3.3 MB)