The Maribyrnong River is a unique environment and a resource for Melbourne's western and northern suburbs. Members of the local community have a strong attachment to the river, including an appreciation of its industrial and cultural heritage, and recreational and environmental values. A sense of remoteness is still available in the upper reaches of the river.
Maribyrnong River Valley Vision and Design Guidelines
The Maribyrnong River Valley Vision and Design Guidelines set out a broad vision for a healthy, vibrant river with quality open space, good walking and cycling trails and sensitive development that protects the river’s natural and cultural heritage. The participating local councils have endorsed the guidelines.
Maribyrnong River Valley - A Shared Vision for a Vibrant River outlines the vision established for the seven distinct sections of the river. It summarises the priorities for action and the design guidelines to achieve the vision.
The Maribyrnong River Valley Design Guidelines provide a framework to help achieve greater planning consistency along the river valley.
Maribyrnong River Valley Design Guidelines - Full Report:
- Maribyrnong River Valley Design Guidelines Part 1 (PDF, 18.1 MB)
- Maribyrnong River Valley Design Guidelines Part 2 (PDF, 5.7 MB)
Note: This document is a large file and may take some time to download. The report is also available for downloading in smaller sections below.
- Introduction (PDF, 2.0 MB)
- Vision (PDF, 2.4 MB)
- Priorities for action
3.1 Enlarge the open space corridor (PDF, 978.4 KB)
3.2 Improve site and precinct planning (PDF, 374.8 KB)
3.3 Undertake important capital works (PDF, 450.5 KB)
3.4 Improve overall governance (PDF, 33.8 KB)
3.5 Refine planning controls (PDF, 515.8 KB)
3.6 Enhance community engagement (PDF, 173.6 KB)
- Design guidelines (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Definitions and abbreviations (PDF, 34.7 KB)
- Bibliography (PDF, 27.5 KB)
Appendix A - Relevant Maps of the Maribyrnong River
- Map 7 - Topography and valley cross section (PDF, 80.3 KB)
- Map 8 - Heritage assets (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- Map 9 - Urban development (PDF, 141.0 KB)
- Map 10 - Activity nodes (PDF, 141.0 KB)
- Map 11 - Trail network (PDF, 134.9 KB)
- Map 12 - Flooding (PDF, 145.5 KB)
- Appendix B - Consultation, views and values (PDF, 43.7 KB)
- Appendix C - Broad objectives table (PDF, 45.7 KB)
- Appendix D - Possible planning permit conditions (PDF, 30.6 KB)
- Appendix E - Planning schemes zoning map (PDF, 503.9 KB)
- Appendix F - Maribyrnong River Valley settlement chronology (PDF, 41.3 KB)
- Appendix G - Maribyrnong River: responsibilities of government agencies (PDF, 42.7 KB)
Maribyrnong River Master Plan
Moonee Valley City Council has established a Master Plan for a high use section of the Maribyrnong River. The Master Plan provides a long-term vision for future improvements to the section of the river between the Afton Street footbridge and Maribyrnong Road.