Building envelopes set design parameters for development on a lot. These design parameters can be described by diagrams, plans or written descriptions, or a combination of both.
Building envelopes can manage the same range of matters as the residential development provisions in effect in Victoria:
- residential subdivision: the development provisions allow for the creation of building envelopes
- single dwellings: the Building Regulations 2006 recognise building envelopes in certain circumstances
The Building Envelopes Information Kit (First Edition, June 2003) provides information for land subdividers, land surveyors, town planners, municipal councils, housing designers and building surveyors on creating, assessing and applying building envelopes.
Single dwellings are assessed against Part 4 of the Building Regulations 2006. For more information see Practice Note Building Envelopes and Part 4 of the Building Regulations 2006 (PDF, 227.9 KB), published by the Victorian Building Authority.
Building Envelopes Information Kit
The Building Envelopes Information Kit (First Edition, June 2003) provides information on the design, approval and application of building envelopes that are created through planning permits for residential subdivision.
The kit is divided into six parts:
Part 5: Illustrating 3-dimensional building envelopes
- Part 5 Contents (PDF, 10.4 KB)
- Part 5 Section 1 - Profiles and plan views (PDF, 450.0 KB)
- Part 5 Section 2 - Setbacks for different situations (PDF, 375.1 KB)
- Part 5 Section 3 - Alternatives to coded profiles (PDF, 12.3 KB)
- Part 5 Section 4.1 - How standard setback profiles work (PDF, 224.3 KB)
- Part 5 Section 4.2 - Profiles for various situations: side profiles (PDF, 273.5 KB)
- Part 5 Section 4.2 - Profiles for various situations: rear profiles (PDF, 128.2 KB)
- Part 5 Section 4.3 - Setback profiles and sloping sites (PDF, 178.9 KB)
- Part 5 Section 5 - Sample report for council (PDF, 28.4 KB)
- Part 5 Section 6 - Sample building envelopes: notes and subdivision plan (PDF, 442.5 KB)