Proponent: Kalbar Operations Pty Ltd
Kalbar Operations Pty Ltd proposes to develop the Fingerboards Mineral Sands Project which has an approximate area of 1,675 hectares and is located approximately 20 kilometres north-west of Bairnsdale in East Gippsland, Victoria.
The proposal includes:
- the development of a mineral sands mine
- two mining unit plants
- wet concentrator plant (comprising mineral separation processing and tailings thickening and disposal plant)
- water supply infrastructure
- tailings storage facility
- additional site facilities, such as a site office, warehouse, workshop, loading facilities and fuel storage.
The proposed mining methods involve open pit mining to extract approximately 170 million tonnes of ore over a projected mine life of 20 years to produce approximately 8 Mt of mineral concentrate. Mine products are proposed to be transported via road or by rail for export overseas.
The mining project would require up to 9000 kilowatt hours of power likely to be supplied from the electricity grid and annual water requirements of approximately 3 to 4 gigalitres.
Final Scoping Requirements
The Scoping Requirements set out the matters to be investigated and documented in the EES. Draft Scoping Requirements for this EES were on public exhibition between 13 September 2017 to 6 October 2017. After considering public submissions on the Draft Scoping Requirements, the Minister for Planning issued final Scoping Requirements in April 2018.
To assist with the interpretation of the final Scoping Requirements, please view questions and answers containing guidance on their development here.
Kalbar has prepared a communication and consultation plan for the EES, outlining the opportunities and approaches for their community engagement during the preparation of the EES. The plan has been refined following advice from the department and Technical Reference Group and is published on this web page. Kalbar welcomes community input on the plan at any time. The consultation process may be adapted or modified to meet changing community needs and requirements.
EES process status
Read the Kalbar fact sheet that summarises the EES process:
Technical Reference Group
DELWP has convened an inter-agency Technical Reference Group at the request of the Minister for Planning to advise DELWP and the proponent on scoping and adequacy of the EES studies and documentation, as well as coordination of the EES process with other statutory processes for the project.
The government organisations represented on the Technical Reference Group are:
- DELWP - Impact Assessment
- DELWP - Region & Biodiversity
- Department of Economic Development Jobs Transport and Resources (Earth Resources Regulation)
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Aboriginal Victoria
- Heritage Victoria
- EPA Victoria
- Parks Victoria
- East Gippsland Water
- Southern Rural Water
- West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority
- East Gippsland Catchment Management Authority
- East Gippsland Shire Council
- Wellington Shire Council
Technical Reference Group representatives are supported by internal experts on specific aspects of the EES studies.
On 18 December 2016 the Minister for Planning required the proponent to prepare an Environment Effects Statements (EES) under the Environment Effects Act 1978 to assess the potential environmental effects of the project:
If you have any questions or feedback, please get in touch via the contact details below.
- Proposed Fingerboards Mineral Sands Project
Kalbar Operations Pty Ltd - Fingerboards Mineral Sands Project
☎ Phone: 1800 791 396 (Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm)
✉ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- EES process
Environment Assessment Unit
☎ Phone: (03) 8392 5515
✉ Email: email@example.com
All documentation relating to this project can be found here.
- Scoping Requirements (PDF, 1.8 MB) or (DOCX, 1.8 MB)
- Draft Scoping Requirements (PDF, 758.3 KB) or (DOCX, 823.7 KB)
- Scoping Requirements Q&A (PDF, 1.4 MB)
Minister's Reason for Decision: