The Urban Development Program Regional Report for East Gippsland provides analysis of residential and industrial land supply and demand.

Residential land supply

As measured from July 2006 to June 2012 residential building approval activity within the Shire of East Gippsland has averaged 391 per annum. The vast majority of building approvals (94%) since July 2006 have been separate houses, the remaining 6% for medium density dwellings.

Projected dwelling requirements sourced from Victoria in Future 2012 indicate that from 2011 to 2031 there will be a total dwelling requirement of 10,139 (507 average per annum) required across the Shire of East Gippsland.

In total (excluding existing vacant residential lots) there is a residential supply of 8,686 potential lots.

It is estimated, based on the identified supply and Victoria in Future 2012 demand projections, there is over 15 years total supply of residential land stocks across the Shire of East Gippsland.

East Gippsland Residential Cover

Industrial land supply

As at November 2011, there was a total of 337 hectares zoned industrial land stock across the Shire of East Gippsland, of which 92 hectares were assessed as available (supply) for industrial purpose development - a total land area vacancy rate of 27%.

Based on analysis of aerial photography and stakeholder consultation, the consumption of land for industrial purposes has averaged 11.7 hectares per annum between 2005 and 2011.

In total, there is in excess of 15 years of industrial zoned land within the municipality based on the average annual rate of land consumption in the period 2005 to 2011.

East Gippsland Industrial Cover

Regional Industrial Report - Shire of East Gippsland

The report is also available for downloading in accessible format below.

Industrial Maps

UDP Data

Urban Development Program residential and industrial land supply data is available for download in the zip file below. MapInfo software is required to use them.

More information

If you have any difficulty in accessing the information above or would like more information about the Urban Development Program, contact us on (03) 9223 1783 or email

Page last updated: 22/10/19