Planning schemes set out policies and provisions for the use and development of land. A planning scheme covers each local council area in Victoria, and some special planning areas.
The following online services provide access to Victorian planning scheme information.
Planning Schemes Online
Planning scheme maps and provisions
Access planning scheme maps and provisions for all of Victoria's planning schemes.
Schemes are updated weekly to include amendments that have been approved and published in the Government Gazette.
Planning scheme amendments
Current and recently approved amendments to planning schemes are available on Planning Schemes Online.
Victoria Planning Provisions (VPP)
The Victoria Planning Provisions are the standard provisions that form the framework for all of Victoria's planning schemes.
Planning scheme histories
Search a comprehensive index of all planning schemes since 1997 or view older planning scheme records at the Public Record Office Victoria.
VicPlan - Zones & Overlays is a state-wide map viewer for location-based planning scheme information.
- Locate any property or parcel in Victoria, via address/parcel search or map browsing
- Access direct links to all planning rules relating to a site
- Generate a property or parcel planning report with localised maps showing each relevant zone and overlay.
Planning Maps Online
An interactive map service that allows you to:
- search planning scheme maps using a property address, Melway reference or lot and plan number
- view planning zones and overlays
- use simple tools to move around and view planning scheme maps at whatever scale you wish
- turn zone and overlay layers on and off to customise your view of each planning scheme
- prepare and print a customised PDF report
- access information about properties listed on the Victorian Heritage Register
- view aerial imagery for the Melbourne metropolitan area
- view historical maps for the 1954, 1959 and 1968 Melbourne planning schemes.
Planning Property Report
A free property-based report which can be viewed as a PDF and includes:
- property address and lot and plan number
- council name and property number
- Melway reference
- a list of zones and overlays applicable to the selected property linked to the relevant planning scheme zone and overlay provisions
- zoning and overlay maps
- separate maps for each overlay affecting a property
- Victorian Heritage Register information with links to the Victorian Heritage Database
Planning Property Reports are also available by selecting the Get Report option in Planning Maps Online.
PlanningVIC: Planning Property Report mobile app
A mobile application for iOS and Android which provides easy access to planning scheme information for any property in Victoria.
The app provides the same reports available through the Planning Property Report service with the advantage of mobile access.
A planning certificate is an official statement of the planning controls that apply to a property. They are mainly used to satisfy the Sale of Land Act 1962, which requires a vendor to provide details of the land zoning, and any overlay controls or exhibited proposed amendments to the planning scheme.
Planning certificates do not show the locations of zone or overlay boundaries, or details of any other specific controls. It is best to contact a planner at the local council to check for any other planning provisions that might apply.
The Department issues planning certificates for the municipalities listed below. If your municipality is not listed here, you will need to contact your local council to get a planning certificate.
If your municipality is listed above, you can apply for a planning certificate online by opening LANDATA® Titles, Property Certificates and Crown Land Status Reports and filling out a number of simple screens.
All you need to supply is:
- your contact details, or your login ID (if you are a registered user).
- information about the property or properties in question.
- your credit card details for the purchase of the certificate or certificates.
Prepaid accounts are also available.
Further information about obtaining planning certificates is available by contacting the Land Information Centre:
Land Information Centre
570 Bourke Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Phone: (+61 3) 8636 2831
Zoning definition plans
A free service is available on request for the preparation of Zoning Definition Plans.
These plans show the location of planning zones or overlays relative to property boundaries.
They can be used to identify the specific location of zones and overlay boundaries where they do not coincide with property boundaries.