VicPlan - Zones & Overlays is a state-wide map resource to quickly and easily find planning scheme information for properties and parcels across Victoria.
Locate your site - via search or map browsing - and access direct links to all the applicable planning rules. Generate planning reports with links to the relevant planning scheme information and localised maps showing zones and overlays.
What is VicPlan?
VicPlan provides more reliable and accurate information, with data updated weekly across the state. Previously, it could take more than 12 months to compare and align each of the individual 82 planning scheme’s data to properties one at a time.
It replaces the difficult-to-use 15,000 static PDF maps that provide location-based zone and overlay information. They will remain available for historic information.
VicPlan is an initiative of the Victorian Government’s Smart Planning program. Smart Planning is reforming the Victorian planning system to be more efficient, effective and accessible.
Who should use VicPlan?
VicPlan is particularly helpful for home- and business-owners, or those looking to buy a property, who want to know what uses are allowed at a location.
Being mobile- and tablet-friendly means you can now easily access planning scheme information away while looking at a property.
It is also handy for government and private planning professionals who want quick access to property information for reports or advice.
VicPlan is a quick, easy-to-use resource for accessing the zone and overlay details for particular sites.
It is complemented by Planning Maps Online, a more detailed planning spatial data viewer, with advanced tools for tasks more commonly undertaken by planning or mapping professionals. Both resources, as well as Planning Scheme Histories, are available on the Planning Schemes Online website.
New features added
User feedback has helped to inform further enhancements to VicPlan, making it easier to use, more dynamic and improving its functionality. Enhancements include:
- Independent layer control - select the zone or overlay that is relevant to the property, to provide distinction between different layers (particularly if they are similar colours/patterns). Layer control is also available in the Export Map function, so you are able to print only the relevant layers.
- Swatch key - shows the colour/pattern of the zone or overlay in the property information panel, to more easily identify which planning scheme document relates to the zone or overlay.
- Greyscale base map - allows greater distinction between the base map and the zones and overlays. Transparency sliders have also been implemented, for greater user control over colour boldness.
- 'Identify' feature - provides more information about a zone or overlay, and highlights the layer to show how far it extends and where the boundary exists.
- Mark up and measure tools - provide the ability to draw on the map, as well as find dimensions and area information.
- Address highlighter - the property address is now highlighted in the search pane, to allow easier identification of which address relates to the property on the map.
More features coming soon
Various enhancements will be made to VicPlan, including point-in-time historical zone and overlay information.
VicPlan will begin tracking zone and overlay updates so that, in the future, you will be able to view information for any date from that point forward. Existing PDF maps will remain available for previous data.