The building and planning systems regulate development in areas where there is a bushfire hazard using the:

These controls aim to make people and buildings safer from the impacts of bushfire.

Drawing showing a house with driveway and shed in a rural setting with some trees and hills behind

What bushfire controls might apply?

People in bushfire areas may be:

  • in a designated bushfire prone area (BPA)
  • in a Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO). If you are in a BMO, the BPA also applies.

Learn what bushfire controls may apply to your property by:

  • Creating a Planning Property Report
  • Using VicPlan interactively if the property report fails to generate.

Use VicPlan

To create a planning property report:

  • Start entering a property address in VicPlan and select from the drop-down list that appears.
  • The map will zoom to the property location and an information panel will appear on the left. Select 'Create Planning Property Report' in the information panel to generate a pdf property report.

You can also zoom and pan to any property on the map to create a property report.

  • Click on the property on the map
  • From the information panel choose the Properties option then click on the Planning Property Report hyperlink. A pdf Planning Property Report will download.
  • Note: the same report can be generated for Parcels, simply choose the Parcel option rather than Properties.

If the property report fails to generate use the VicPlan map. The property may in a new subdivision and a property report cannot be generated yet.

  • Enter the address at VicPlan. If this does not provide a result, enter an established road nearby and zoom in or out to locate your property. Links to the applicable zone and overlay(s), including the Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO) if it applies, will appear in the left panel.
  • To find out if a designated Bushfire Prone Area (BPA) applies:
    • select 'Layers' (bottom of left panel)
    • in the left panel, next to Bushfire, tick the box and click on the +
    • bushfire controls will apply if the BMO or BPA appear on the property.

Open VicPlan

What's in the property report?

The report includes:

  • zone and any overlay(s) that apply, including the Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO) if it applies to the property
  • Bushfire Prone Area (BPA) status and a map showing extent of the BPA if it applies.

The information in the property report reflects the current planning controls in the planning scheme.

Link to a relevant clause and schedule in the planning scheme

You can link to the relevant planning scheme provision from the Planning Property Report (and from the left panel in VicPlan). For example, if the BMO, or a schedule to the BMO, applies to the property, you can link directly to them. If a schedule to the BMO applies, it will be shown as BMO with a schedule number next to it, for example BMO1.

What else can I do in VicPlan?

You can also interact with VicPlan including to:

  • measure distances and areas
  • navigate to an area of interest by using simple navigation tools
  • view the extent of the bushfire prone area for larger areas
  • view applicable planning zones and overlays to an area
  • produce a custom map or print for later viewing
  • view aerial imagery

VicPlan Help

More information about using VicPlan

Bushfire Prone Area (BPA)

Areas that are likely to experience bushfires are designated as BPA.

If your property is in a BPA, your building permit will require that you meet specific construction standards for bushfire protection.

Information about building in the BPA

You may also need planning approval to use or develop your land

Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO)

The BMO applies to land that may be significantly affected by extreme bushfires. If you are in the BMO, the BPA also applies.

If your property is in a BMO, you may need a planning permit if you want to build or develop your land.

If your development requires a planning permit your planning permit application will need to address the bushfire hazard.

Information about building in the BMO

Ongoing Permit obligations

Permits for buildings and works in the Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO) come with ongoing requirements such as the maintenance of a driveway to allow access for fire trucks and maintenance of dedicated water tanks for fire-fighting purposes.

Purchasers of established properties in the BMO should be aware that ongoing obligations tied to a permit for development on the property may exist.

Speak to the local council to obtain more information on any existing planning permits and ongoing requirements.

The BPA and BMO hazard maps trigger planning and building requirements.  These maps are based on criteria and are approved and updated by the Minister for Planning.

BPA and BMO mapping criteria

Mapping criteria identifies whether an area should be designated a BPA, and if a BMO should apply.

Information about the mapping criteria and methodology (PDF, 332.5 KB) or (DOCX, 322.5 KB)

Page last updated: 25/01/22