On this page:
What is this template for?
The request for information (RFI) letter template can be used by councils with some customisation.
The template includes
- several structural options based on the planner's review of the application.
- language style
- writing tips
The aim of this template is to improve the quality and consistency of RFIs and increase the number of complete and high-quality RFI responses that councils receive from applicants.
Instructions for use
The template can be customised to respond to each specific application and provide the correct contact information and due date of the RFI.
Updating text on the template
The template will need to be updated with contact information, due dates, and RFI content in response to the application. The template provides several options for structuring the content, dependent on the outcome of council’s preliminary review of the application.
You should also add your letterhead or logo/standard headers and footers to identify your council
Where should the template be available
The letter should be emailed out to applicants as the RFI letter, and should be accompanied by the RFI guidance template, also available in this suite of tools and templates. The template should be stored internally in an easily accessible location for planning and admin staff to access as required.
Tips to get the most out of this template
For this template to be most effective at your council, we recommend:
- customise the template to reflect a response to the application, provide contact details, and the due date of the RFI
- ensure the steps to fill out the template and the structure of the template are understood by planning staff
- store a copy of the tool where it can be easily located by planning and admin staff to fill in and send out as required
- remove any implementation notes, or highlighted text prior to publishing the template.
Having a clear, easy to follow RFI template will increase consistency in RFIs across planners and assist applicants with their understanding. This in turn will result in more complete, and high-quality RFI responses.
Page last updated: 10/01/24