On this page:
What is this template for?
The ‘planning permit process overview" document is intended to provide information to applicants about each phase of the planning process, ensure that planners are following the same steps, and reduce the number of inquiries received by the council regarding the planning process.
Instructions for use
The tool can be edited and customised to reflect any specifics of the planning process in your council.
Updating text on the document?
It is important to amend the text as required to accurately reflect the planning process in your council. Whilst much of this is the same across all councils, there will be specifics such as the pre-application services offered in your council, how applications should be lodged and preferred methods of contact.
Where should the document be available?
The document should be available on council’s website in an accessible location so that applicants can easily find it or be directed to it.
Tips to get the most out of this template
For this template to be most effective at your council, we recommend:
- customise the template to reflect specific processes used at your council
- ensure the information is easily found on council’s website
- ensure planning and admin staff are familiar with the location and content, so they can advise customers as required
- remove highlighted text prior to publishing the template
- store a copy where it can be easily located.
Providing this write-up will increase applicant understanding of the process and reduce council time and resources spent explaining or clarifying the process.
Page last updated: 23/08/23