On this page:
Proponent: VHM Limited
VHM Limited proposes to develop the Goschen Mineral Sands and Rare Earths project which has an approximate area of 1,534 hectares and is located approximately 35 kilometres south of Swan Hill.
The Project will involve mining and processing heavy mineral sands and rare earths into mixed heavy mineral concentrate (HMC), zircon concentrate, rutile product, leucoxene products, ilmenite product and rare earth mineral products.
The products generated from processing the ore will be transported in sealed sea containers via road to the Ultima intermodal terminal and railed to the Port of Melbourne for overseas export.
The key components of the Project include the following:
- Mining and processing of 5 million tonnes per annum of heavy mineral sands within two mining areas to produce a variety of critical mineral concentrates.
- Transport of product using sealed sea containers via road to Ultima and then rail to Port of Melbourne.
- Establishing a 38 kilometre water supply pipeline capable of suppling up to 4.5 GL/per annum from Kangaroo Lake to the mine.
- Electrical power needed for mining and processing during operation, requiring a maximum 5 megawatts of power consumption.
- Upgrading various local roads to support the project and transport of product to Ultima.
- Progressive rehabilitation of mined areas and return land to agricultural land uses within three to five years.
Public review and inquiry
Inquiry and advisory committee
The Goschen Mineral Sands and Rare Earths Project Inquiry and Advisory Committee was appointed by the Minister for Planning on 11 August 2023.
See Planning Panels Victoria Goschen Mineral Sands and Rare Earths Project Inquiry and Advisory Committee.
The environment effects statement, draft planning scheme amendment and EPA development licence application for the Goschen Mineral Sands and Rare Earths project will be publicly exhibited for comment for 40 business days from Monday 20 November 2023 to 11.59pm on Wednesday 17 January 2024.
You can view the environment effects statement, draft planning scheme amendment, EPA development licence application and any related documents at Goschen Mineral Sands and Rare Earths Project.
VHM Limited has prepared a communications and consultation plan for the EES, outlining the opportunities and approaches for its community engagement during the preparation of the EES.
The plan may be updated as required during the preparation of the EES. If the plan changes, the updated version will be posted on this page.
The Department has prepared scoping requirements for the Environment Effects Statement (EES). The scoping requirements set out the matters to be investigated and documented in the EES.
Draft scoping requirements for this EES were on public exhibition between April and May 2019.
After considering public submissions on the draft scoping requirements, the Minister for Planning issued final scoping requirements in May 2019.
Minister's decision on referral
On 10 October 2018 the Minister for Planning required VHM Exploration (now known as VHM Limited) to prepare an Environment Effects Statement (EES) under the Environment Effects Act 1978 to assess the potential environmental effects of the project.
Page last updated: 20/11/23