The Urban Development Program Regional Report for Glenelg provides analysis of residential and industrial land supply and demand.

Residential land supply

As measured from July 2006 to July 2012 residential building approval activity within the Shire of Glenelg has averaged 95 per annum. The vast majority of building approvals (87%) since July 2006 have been separate houses, the remaining 13% for medium density dwellings.

Projected dwelling requirements sourced from Victoria in Future 2012 indicate that from 2011 to 2031 there will be a total dwelling requirement of 1,809 (90 average per annum) required across the Shire of Glenelg.

In total (excluding existing vacant residential lots) there is a residential supply of 1,556 potential lots.

It is estimated, based on the identified supply and Victoria in Future 2012 demand projections, there is over 15 years total supply of residential land stocks across the Shire of Glenelg.

Glenelg Residential Cover

Industrial land supply

As at December 2012, there was a total of 1,272 hectares zoned industrial land stock across the Shire of Glenelg, of which 571 hectares were assessed as available (supply) for industrial development - a total land area vacancy rate of 45%.

Based on analysis of aerial photography and stakeholder consultation, the consumption of land for industrial purposes has averaged 4.0 hectares per annum between 2003 and 2012.

In total, there is in excess of 15 years of industrial zoned land within the municipality based on the average annual rate of land consumption in the period 2003 to 2012.

Glenelg Industrial Cover

Regional Industrial Report - Shire of Glenelg

The report is also available for downloading in accessible format below.

Industrial Maps

UDP Data

Urban Development Program residential and industrial land supply data is available for download in the zip file below. MapInfo software is required to use them.

More information

If you have any difficulty in accessing the information above or would like more information about the Urban Development Program, contact us on (03) 9223 1783 or email

Page last updated: 22/10/19