Renewal of public housing estates
The Victorian Government is committed to better meeting the housing needs of Victorians.
As part of the Homes for Victorians strategy, the government has committed a $2.6 billion program of investment into social housing and to reduce homelessness. The creation of safe, accessible, affordable and suitable housing so that all Victorians feel supported by and part of the community is a key priority of the Victorian Government
The Department of Health and Human Service (DHHS) is planning to redevelop ageing public housing estates into vibrant, better-connected, mixed-tenure neighbourhoods where people can live in housing that is safe and secure, and meets modern standards as part of its Public Housing Renewal Program.
Social Housing Renewal Standing Advisory Committee
The Minister for Planning has referred nine sites (listed below) as requested by the Minister for Housing, Disability and Ageing for consideration to the Social Housing Renewal Standing Advisory Committee (Advisory Committee). The purpose of the Advisory Committee is to:
- advise on the suitability of planning proposals for existing public housing estates prepared by Department of Health and Human Services; and
- provide a timely, transparent and consultative process to facilitate the renewal of Victoria’s social housing stock.
Consultation for planning proposals
Consultation for each site will include an opportunity for interested parties to view the planning proposal, ask questions and make submissions. There will also be an opportunity to make verbal submissions at public hearings held by the Advisory Committee.
Open for consultation
- Abbotsford Street, Nth Melbourne (submissions close 5pm, 20 September 2017)
- New Street, Brighton (submissions close 12pm, 16 October 2017)
Under consideration (consultation closed)
- Debneys Precinct: Flemington Estate Renewal
- Gronn Place, Brunswick West
- BellBardia and Tarkan Estates, Heidelberg
- Walker Street, Northcote
Consultation yet to commence
- Noone Street, Clifton Hill
- Bills Street, Hawthorn
- Ascot Vale estate, Ascot Vale
Prior to this process, DHHS undertook consultation with residents living on and nearby the public housing estate that is being renewed. This consultation process has informed the proposals being considered by the Advisory Committee.
- Further questions about this process
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.
(03) 8683 0901