What is the Building Future Homes: Adaptation guide?
The Building Future Homes: Adaptation guide supports:
- Applicants to adapt their purchased Future Homes design to suit their site
- DELWP and OVGA to provide advice to the applicant and to assess a proposal once referred to DELWP
- Anyone interested in Future Homes who would like to gain a better understanding of the designs, process, and purpose.
The guide ensures an adapted design fulfils the intent and ambitions of Future Homes - delivering apartments that are great homes, great neighbours and great citizens.
It has been created to:
- Ensure designers deliver on the Future Homes objectives and principles
- Help decision-makers to understand the acceptable approaches, outcomes and variations for a Future Homes design
- Provide best-practice approaches to suburban apartment design
- Give clarity and confidence about what a Future Homes design might look like and what it can achieve.
The guide has three parts:
- Part 1: Introduction, objectives and principles for exemplar apartments.
- Part 2: Adapting a Future Homes design.
- Part 3: Appendices.
Download the adaptation guide
Part 1 contains a range of principles, mandatory requirements, performance targets and design considerations which all adaptations will meet in order to be successful.
A Future Homes development…
Responsive to need
is designed to respond to the needs of its residents
has desirable homes with high-quality interior amenity, social spaces, natural light and a good outlook
respects neighbours’ amenity and enriches the street and surrounding public realm
has apartments that are of a high-quality built standard, accepted by the community, adaptable to change, resilient, safe and family-friendly
demonstrates how apartment living can exceed current sustainability requirements and be zero-carbon ready
is adaptable and replicable on typical suburban lots in Victoria, meeting or exceeding planning, policy and environmental objectives
responds appropriately to market expectations, regulation and construction viability
makes great design available to more people
Part 2 has four sections, one for each of the Future Homes design options.
Part 2 sets out:
- general adaptation guidance for the Future Homes designs
- specific approaches to adapting a Future Homes design for a particular site, context or market, by illustrating how a designer can manage common design challenges.
The guidance provided is not exhaustive, and other ideas may be appropriate depending on a development’s particular circumstances.
The appendices include technical information, compliance assumptions and opportunities to enhance and exceed the Future Homes mandatory requirements. There are eight appendices contained in Part 3, these are:
- Appendix 1: Structure
- Appendix 2: Fire safety
- Appendix 3: Landscape
- Appendix 4: Waste
- Appendix 5: Services and equipment
- Appendix 6: Environmentally sustainable design
- Appendix 7: Construction cost and guidance
- Appendix 8: Accessibility.
Page last updated: 28/10/22