Is my site eligible?
Future Homes will only be developed in areas capable of supporting gentle density increases.
Future Homes is currently in a two-year pilot program with the City of Maribyrnong however, the project is exploring new partnerships with other councils, which will be announced in 2023.
To be eligible for the Future Homes pilot your site must meet the following requirements:
- located within the City of Maribyrnong.
- results from the consolidation of two or more typical suburban blocks or have a site area of approximately 1,200 square metres or greater.
- The land is in a General Residential Zone, and
- any part of the land is directly adjacent to a Transport Zone, or
- any property that adjoins land that is directly adjacent to a Transport Zone, or
- any part of the land is within 400 metres of a train station or an identified activity centre
- not require a permit under the following overlays:
- environmental significance
- design and development
- neighbourhood character
- significant landscape
- not have a restriction registered on Title that prevents the development of an apartment of this type, scale, form or material.
Check your site's eligibility with the Future Homes webmap:
Once you have determined your site’s eligibility, there are other requirements you must consider. Please check the mandatory planning requirements in guidance and resources and to find out more information about sites in flood prone areas or main roads.
The planning approval process at a glance
When you purchase a Future Home design, you will be provided with a faster, streamlined planning process.
Once you have determined your sites suitability and selected a design, there are four phases in the Future Homes process :
- Phase 1: adapt the design to your site and attend a design direction review meeting with DELWP and the OVGA
- Phase 2: refer your adapted design to DELWP and other referral authorities, prior to planning lodgement
- Phase 3: lodge endorsed design package to the responsible authority and undertake usual notice requirements
- Phase 4: receive a permit decision under delegated authority.
Learn more about the approval process
Contact the Future Homes sales team for enquires relating to purchasing a Future Homes design at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact the Future Homes referral team for all enquires relating to planning and referral matters at email@example.com.
Page last updated: 28/10/22