Melbourne 2030 - Planning for sustainable growth was released in October 2002 as a 30 year plan to manage urban growth and development across metropolitan Melbourne.
A new outcomes-based metropolitan planning strategy for Melbourne will be developed, commencing in 2011.
Download the entire report below
- Melbourne 2030 - Planning for sustainable growth (complete report)
- Melbourne 2030 - Planning for sustainable growth (text only version) (PDF, 1.0 MB)
Document in parts
The complete version of the Melbourne 2030 report is a large file which may take time to download, therefore it is also available for downloading in smaller sections.
Summary, Vision and the basis for Melbourne 2030
- Front cover and Introduction (PDF, 727.0 KB)
- Table of contents (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- Minister's Message (PDF, 818.7 KB)
- Vision (PDF, 16.6 KB)
- In Summary (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- The Basis (PDF, 1.9 MB)
Scope, focus and strategic framework
Policies and initiatives
- Policies and Initiatives (PDF, 394.9 KB)
- Direction 1 - A More Compact City (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- Direction 2 - Better Management of Metropolitan Growth (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- Direction 3 - Networks with Regional Cities (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Direction 4 - A More Prosperous City (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Direction 5 - A Great Place To Be (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Direction 6 - A Fairer City (PDF, 1.9 MB)
- Direction 7 - A Greener City (PDF, 673.5 KB)
- Direction 8 - Better Transport Links (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- Direction 9 - Better Planning, Careful Management (PDF, 1.1 MB)
Implementing Melbourne 2030
Environmental Issues and their Impact on Metropolitan Strategy
Green Wedges and Non-Urban Issues
Globalisation, Competitiveness and Metropolitan Strategy
Housing Past, Housing Future
Melbourne and Regional Areas
Implications of Population Change in Metropolitan Melbourne
Aspects of the Greater Melbourne freight task
Culture and the Metropolis
Protecting Heritage in a Changing Melbourne
Rural Living Development in the Metropolitan Region
Refer to the technical reports appendices tab for the maps that accompany this report.
Sense of Place: Urban Design Principals for the Metropolitan Strategy
Urban Growth Boundary
Public submissions were invited on the implementation of Melbourne 2030. Nearly 1500 submissions were received and these informed the development of the Response to Submissions Report.