On this page:
Planning guidelines for golf course redevelopment
The Planning guidelines for the conversion of golf course land to other purposes provide a clear and consistent pathway for golf course redevelopment.
The guidelines outline how proposals should:
- provide new public parks
- protect biodiversity and the environment
- contribute to other social and community outcomes.
It sets out clear expectations for all stakeholders, including the community, about how golf course land should be redeveloped.
Download the guidelines
The guidelines were informed by the recommendations of the Golf Course Redevelopment Standing Advisory Committee, supported by a Ministerial response.
Ministerial direction 21 – Golf course redevelopment directs planning authorities amending a planning scheme to enable the redevelopment of a golf course.
When changing planning controls applying to the land or the zoning of the land planning authorities must:
- have regard to the guidelines
- include in the explanatory report an explanation of how the amendment addresses the guidelines.
Golf Course Redevelopment Standing Advisory Committee
The Golf Course Redevelopment Standing Advisory Committee was established to provide advice on proposals for the redevelopment of golf courses.
The Minister may refer the following matters for advice:
- An application for the redevelopment of a golf course that the Minister has called in under section 97B, or has been referred under section 97C, of the Act
- A request to prepare an amendment to a planning scheme to enable the redevelopment of a golf course.
- An application or request for authorisation under sections 8A or 9 of the Act to prepare an amendment to enable the redevelopment of a golf course.
- A proceeding related to an application for the redevelopment of golf course land that the Minister has called-in under clause 59 of Schedule 1 of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 1998.
Find out more about the Golf Course Redevelopment Standing Advisory Committee.
Page last updated: 09/06/23