The department employs a number of specialised built form modelling software packages as well as Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to provide the following services to Government departments and agencies:
- strategic planning for projects of State significance, including visualisation of alternative scenarios.
- generating capacity studies for large sites.
- planning permit assessment where the Minister for Planning is the responsible authority.
- determining built form envelopes for key sites and precincts.
- a visual 3D database of planning permits within the Capital City Zone.
- providing informative visualisations for projects such as the Flinders Street Station Design Competition.
- undertaking view line and shadow analysis.
- representing planning scheme overlays in 3D.
The specialist built form modelling assists with providing faster and more accurate negotiated outcomes to permit applications with developers and architects. It also provides the ability to produce high quality still images and videos, and to create, manipulate and view different built form outcomes within easy to use and understand simulations.
Advisory Note: 3D digital modelling
This advisory note provides technical guidance for submitting 3D Digital Models to the department: