This is the twelfth annual report on planning permit activity in Victoria. A detailed summary of statistical information for the 2014-15 financial year, the data is provided by the 79 local government authorities, the Minister for Planning and the Victorian Civil and Administration Tribunal.
This annual report covers information for the state aggregated and consistently presented at three levels:
- metropolitan Melbourne and rural/regional Victoria,
- three metropolitan and three rural/regional subregion
The information in this annual report includes:
- the number of permit applications received and decided
- the number of permit applications reviewed at VCAT
- the estimated cost of works for permits issued
- the value of fees for applications received
- the time to process permits and the number processed within sixty days
- the number of permits that required further information requests, public notice, referral or involved submissions
- the number of permits by category
- changes in land use
- comparison information with previous years and across schemes.
Please note: During the 2014-15 financial year PPARS underwent a major system-wide upgrade. The upgrade introduced the collection of new data along with modifying the collection of some existing data fields. Due to these changes, it is not possible to produce annual reporting for the 82 individual planning schemes this year. The figures in this annual report do not contain data from Hepburn Shire Council.
Planning Permit Activity Report
This Planning Permit Activity Report presents three levels of data, a list of the planning schemes that comprise each level of reporting can be viewed here (PDF, 266.2 KB).
Planning permit activity summary for Victoria
The permit activity occurring within each planning scheme is aggregated to provide a statewide summary position.Statewide report
Planning permit activity by metropolitan and rural Victoria
Information is aggregated to provide a perspective on metropolitan Melbourne and rural/regional Victoria.
Planning permit activity by subgroup
Compare three metropolitan and three rural subgroups that have similar planning activity or geography.
Overview of Planning Permit Activity in Victoria in 2014-15
For the 2014-15 year:
- the number or permits received was 57,297, an increase of 1.6% on 2013-14
- the number of applications decided was 52,004, an increase of 8.3% on 2013-14
- the estimated cost of works for planning permits issued was $24 billion, an increase of 21% on 2013-14
- 64% of applications were decided within sixty days, compared to 67% in 2013-14
- permits issued for new dwellings provided for an estimated increase of 72,700 new dwellings
- permits issued for subdivision provided for an estimated 10,182 new lots
- 17.3% of permits issued involved a change in land use; most of these to a residential use.
Permit applications and decisions across Victoria
Permit activity varies between metropolitan and rural Victoria and between the subgroups within these areas.
|Total permit applications received||Total permit applications decided|
|Inner and middle urban||24,376||24,272||-0.4%||19,542||22,505||+15.2%|
|Regional City LGA's||6,246||6,445||+3.2%||5,880||6,030||+2.5%|
|Small and medium regional||5,261||5,601||+6.5%||4,887||5,190||+6.2%|
Permit application activity by scheme
This chart shows variation in permit activity by scheme. Click the image for an enlarged PDF of the chart.
Permit decisions by scheme
This chart shows the number of decisions made in each of the 82 planning scheme areas and the percentage decided within sixty days. Click the image for an enlarged PDF of the chart.
Dwelling related activity across Victoria
The following table shows permit applications that relate to residential use:
|Total dwelling permits||Total dwelling permits||% total permits issued||Permit for one dwelling||Permit for 2-10 dwellings||Permit for more than 10 dwellings||Total number of new dwellings|
|Inner and middle urban||4,436||3,042||14.4%||596||2,238||208||55,581|
|Regional city LGAs||1,314||817||13.8%||587||219||11||3,246|
|Small and medium regional||1,036||808||15.9%||761||46||1||1,128|
Previous planning permit activity reports
Activity reports have been published annually since 2004. In 2012, the Department moved to solely online publication of the data; the previous year's report can be viewed here.
Reports produced in 2011 and prior are available to view or download in PDF format from the PPARS website.
If you have any questions or need further information, get in touch via the contact details below.
- Planning Support
☎ Phone: 1800 789 386
✉ Email: email@example.com
Page last updated: 22/08/19