‘Transform’ is a proposed additional stage of the Smart Planning program that would, subject to funding, build on the current program.
While current reform initiatives are making the planning system more responsive to current needs, our aim for Transform is to consider the needs of Victoria and Victorians over the next 30 years.
Transform provides an opportunity to deliver a user-friendly, best-practice planning system that is responsive to the needs of Victorians, and generates investments and job growth, well into the future. A system that protects liveability and sustainability as the state experiences strong population growth, demographic changes and increasing demands.
Building the business case
The 2016-17 Victorian Budget allocated $25.5 million to an initial two-year program for Smart Planning. Transform funding has yet to be secured.
In early-2017, we researched the needs and opportunities of a future transformation program, in order to develop a business case for future funding. This included consultation with planners and other stakeholders across the public and private sectors. We sought to understand how they use the planning system and any issues they experience, as well as gather innovative ideas and solutions for improvement.
At this stage Transform involves a broad range of considerations, including:
- developing a planning system that is fit for purpose, to manage change now and into the future
- approaches to how we develop planning policy and its implementation through planning schemes or other mechanisms
- the structure of planning schemes, and associated policy and regulatory instruments
- processes for, and approaches to, development control and changes to planning schemes, including stakeholder engagement
- the relationship of the planning system to other regulatory processes
- improving user experiences with the planning system.
Page last updated: 15/02/18