The department has been working with local councils since 2017 to develop Melbourne’s Future Planning Framework including six draft land use framework plans for the Melbourne Metropolitan regions.
As a key Plan Melbourne 2017-2050 implementation action, the plans will help guide how growth, jobs, housing, infrastructure, major transport improvements and open space are managed at a regional level over the next 30 years.
The six metropolitan regions are made up of 32 local government areas and each has its own unique plan:
- Inner metro region - Yarra, Melbourne and Port Phillip.
- Inner South East metro region - Stonnington, Boroondara, Glen Eira and Bayside.
- Southern metro region - Kingston, Greater Dandenong, Frankston, Casey, Mornington Peninsula and Cardinia.
- Western metro region - Melton, Wyndham, Brimbank, Moonee Valley, Hobsons Bay and Maribrynong.
- Northern metro region - Whittlesea, Darebin, Moreland, Nillumbik, Hume, Banyule and part of Mitchell.
- Eastern metro region - Whitehorse, Monash, Knox, Maroondah, Manningham, Yarra Ranges.