Protecting the Macedon Ranges region
The Victorian Government is committed to protecting the Macedon Ranges region. This region is of state significance due to its strong environmental and cultural heritage values, its unique character, its production of some of the best food and wine in Victoria, and its attractive tourist destinations such as Hanging Rock and the Macedon Ranges.
New legislation and consultation on draft planning statement
The Victorian Government has introduced new legislation into Parliament to provide greater protection for our state's iconic areas and landscapes, with the first one recognised to be the Macedon Ranges region.
The new legislation is a key milestone in the Victorian Government’s commitment to deliver protection for the Macedon Ranges, and the first step towards implementing the Plan Melbourne 2017–2050 commitment to strengthen planning protection for our distinctive landscapes and valued non-urban areas.
The Planning and Environment Amendment (Distinctive Areas and Landscapes) Bill will be debated in the Victorian Parliament in early 2018.
Localised Planning Statement Consultation – open until 19 February 2018
Public consultation is open on the draft Macedon Ranges Localised Planning Statement until 19 February 2018. Feedback will inform the final statement, which will be released in mid-2018.
View the draft Macedon Ranges Localised Planning Statement and summary brochure, have your say, and find out about community drop-in centres.
Working in Partnership
The Minister for Planning appointed an advisory committee in November 2015 to provide advice on policy and legislative changes to improve protection for the region. In February 2017, the Minister accepted all 12 of the committee’s recommendations, which include:
- A new Localised Planning Statement that will strengthen the importance of the Macedon Ranges region in state planning policy. This will include a framework plan showing a clear settlement structure and long-term settlement boundaries for each township.
- New legislation that provides protection for the Macedon Ranges and enshrines the significance of the region in Victorian law.
- Updated local planning controls that implement the new Localised Planning Statement, including revised Vegetation Protection and Significant Landscape overlays, and other controls as required.
The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning is working in partnership with the Macedon Ranges Shire Council and the Victorian Planning Authority to implement the recommendations. The partnership is working closely with the Traditional Owner groups of the Dja Dja Wurrung, Taungurung and the Wurundjeri peoples to recognise Aboriginal cultural heritage values.
You can view details of the planning reforms and work program here:
- Macedon Ranges Work Plan Brochure (PDF, 440.2 KB)
- Macedon Ranges Work Plan Brochure (accessible version) (DOC, 92.5 KB)
|14 February 2017||
Macedon Ranges protection actions announced|
Minister for Planning accepts all Macedon Ranges Protection Advisory Committee recommendations
|13 December 2017||Planning and Environment Amendment (Distinctive Areas and Landscapes) Bill introduced to Parliament|
15 December 2017
|Public comment opens on the draft Macedon Ranges Localised Planning Statement|
19 February 2018
|Public submission period closes|
|April 2018||Public report on submissions available|
|Mid 2018||Macedon Ranges Localised Planning Statement finalised|