Is my area eligible for GAIC funding?

State infrastructure projects within the urban growth boundary of Cardinia, Casey, Hume, Melton, Mitchell, Whittlesea and Wyndham are eligible for GAIC funding.

How are GAIC funds spent?

Contributions collected by the State Revenue Office are distributed equally between two special purpose accounts the Growth Areas Public Transport Fund (GAPTF) and the Building New Communities Fund (BNCF). GAIC funds must be spent in and for the benefit of growth areas.

The funds are to be distributed to growth areas in proportion to the amount received from that growth area over time. However, there may be short to medium term variation in allocations depending on individual project priorities and revenue collected.

How do I apply for GAIC funding?

Victorian Government departments or agencies (through the relevant portfolio department) may apply for GAIC funds. Growth Area Councils, developers and other interested parties are invited to propose priorities for infrastructure to be funded from GAIC. All proposals are to be directed to the appropriate department or agency for their consideration. Applications for GAIC funding will be received and assessed through an annual process.

Can developers deliver Work in Kind projects instead of paying GAIC?

Yes. Developers can seek to provide works or land for the purpose of future state infrastructure in lieu of paying GAIC. Proposals for GAIC Work in Kind (WIK) agreements, including for land, can be directed to the Victorian Planning Authority for assessment and negotiation.

To discuss a GAIC WIK project contact Andrew Churchward on 03 8644 8816 or

Page last updated: 30/11/20