The Government Land Planning Service (GLPS) formally known as the Fast Track Government Land Service, supports the Minister for Planning in assessing proposals to:
- change planning provisions relating to Victorian Government land;
- reserve land proposed to be owned by the Victorian Government in the future, or
- facilitate the delivery of priority projects on Victorian Government land.
This includes ensuring that appropriate planning provisions are in place on government land, correcting anomalies and updating planning provisions to accurately reflect planning use and development
When a request is received, the site is assessed to determine the most appropriate planning stream. The three streams are explained below.
Planning Stream A
Sites considered under stream A require a planning scheme amendment approved under S20(4) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
Outcome: the site will be generally consistent with the land use surrounding the site and where zones/overlays are likely to be the same as the surrounding planning provisions.
Timeframe: 4-6 months. These amendments are generally considered by the Minister for Planning 2-3 times per year.Planning Stream B:
Planning Stream B
Sites considered under stream B require a planning scheme amendment/permit to be considered by the Government Land Standing Advisory Committee (Advisory Committee).
The Advisory Committee provides independent advice on the planning proposal to the Minister for Planning. For more information including member biographies and terms of reference refer to the Advisory Committee web page.
The Minster for Planning decides if the site is to be referred to the Advisory Committee for advice.
Outcome: the site is likely to capture a strategic opportunity for enhanced development outcomes, and/ or support delivery of a Government project and future planning provisions complement the surrounding area but are not necessarily the same as that surrounding the site.
Timeframe: 6-8 months (outlined below) on an as needs basis
For more information including member biographies and terms of reference refer to the Advisory Committee web page.
Planning Stream C:
Requires a standard planning scheme amendment process with either local council or Minister for Planning as the planning authority.
- Privacy: DELWP's Privacy Collection Statement (PDF, 24.5 KB)
- Council’s role through the GLPS process: Council FAQ’s (PDF, 35.0 KB)
- Landowning departments and agencies role through the GLPS: Landowners FAQ’s (PDF, 38.9 KB)
Government landowning departments and agencies that require planning scheme changes for their land can apply for assistance through the GLPS. This can include rezoning surplus government land or changes to overlay provisions for existing sites delivering a government outcome. The following steps need to be followed:
- A Surplus Government Land Declaration Form must be completed and signed if the site is determined surplus.
- Mandatory documents as outlined in the application form
- Other relevant reports to support your proposal (i.e. heritage study, arborist report).
- Evidence of any consultation undertaken with local council and other interested groups.
The GLPS will assess the application and send the landowner a recommendation form outlining the proposed Planning Stream Pathway, costs and timing. The landowner will be sent the recommendation form and an acceptance form.
The landowner must complete, sign and submit the acceptance form and provide any additional information that may be requested.
Following receipt of the signed acceptance form, GLPS will confirm with the landowner which planning stream will be used (the Minster for Planning decides Stream B sites).
Submissions can now be made on the following sites:
Stream A sites
- Currently there are no Stream A sites that are open for comment.
Stream B Sites
- Currently there are no Stream B sites that are open for comment.
If you have any further questions, please contact us on
☎ Phone: 03 8392 5593
✉ Email: email@example.com
✉ Post: PO Box 500, East Melbourne, Victoria, 3002
The GLPS is located at 8 Nicholson Street, East Melbourne, Victoria 3002.