A new planning process has been created for developments using the Future Homes exemplar design. Where a design is adapted correctly, a planning permit for a three storey apartment building can be achieved in approximately 2 months saving time and money for all those involved.
What’s different to a regular planning application?
- The exemplar designs have been developed by DELWP’s appointed architects, creating certainty that the design is acceptable in a General Residential Zone.
- Clause 51.xx-1 provides a modified assessment pathway where what’s critical to a successful adaptation is assessed. This includes some modified provisions of Clause 55 (two or more dwellings on a lot)
- Partnerships with Melbourne Water and Department of Transport to ensure Future Homes referrals are expediated.
- Partnership with the pilot councils (Darebin, Maribyrnong and Monash) to accelerate planning approval for Future Homes.
- A Design Adaptation Panel review before a planning application is lodged, so there are no surprises and certainty about the planning permit outcome.
Page last updated: 28/10/22