The Minister for Planning is considering whether to prepare, adopt and approve East Gippsland Planning Scheme Amendment C163egip. To inform the Minister’s decision, consultation is being undertaken under section 20(5) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 about the draft amendment.
What the draft amendment does
The Amendment proposes to facilitate the approval of the ‘Kmart Bairnsdale’ proposal at 598-610 Main Street, Bairnsdale.
Specifically, the Amendment proposes to introduce the Specific Controls Overlay into the East Gippsland Planning Scheme and apply a Specific Controls Overlay to the land at 598-610 Main Street. The Amendment will also amend the Schedule to Clause 72.04 (Documents Incorporated in this Planning Scheme) of the East Gippsland Planning Scheme to insert the “598-610 Main Street, Bairnsdale” Incorporated Document, which will provide approval for the proposed use and development.
Specifically, the use and development comprise:
- Demolition and removal of existing buildings, structures and trees.
- Construction of a single-storey retail building, including loading bays and associated infrastructure.
- Construction of 202 car parking spaces, resulting in a reduction in the standard car parking requirement of 203 car parking spaces, by 1 space.
- Construction of 18 bicycle parking spaces.
- Amended vehicle access to Main Street and Calvert Street, including separated heavy vehicle access via Calvert Street.
- Construction and display of internally illuminated signage, including pylon signs.
Before making a decision about whether to proceed with draft Amendment C163egip, the Minister for Planning is undertaking consultation under section 20(5) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 to understand the views of certain parties and to inform the drafting of the Amendment.
Following the consultation period, the Minister may decide to refer this matter to the Priority Projects Standing Advisory Committee for further advice before making a decision about whether to prepare, adopt and approve the Amendment. If you make a submission, you will be informed if the matter is referred to the Priority Projects Standing Advisory Committee.
The Minister for Planning has received a request from Landmor Pty Ltd to facilitate the proposal through the recently established Development Facilitation Program.
The Victorian Government has identified Victoria’s building and construction sector as a key mechanism to revitalise Victoria’s economy during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
The Development Facilitation Program was established by the Minister for Planning following the success of the Building Victoria’s Recovery Taskforce Priority Project Fast-Track pilot program to speed up the assessment and determination of identified priority projects that deliver investment into the Victorian economy, keep people in jobs, and provide a substantial public benefit.
If you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact Anthony Pollifrone, Planner, Priority Projects Team, Statutory Planning Services, Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning via email.
Have your say
Find out how to get involved and have your say on specific planning reviews
East Gippsland Planning Scheme Amendment C163egip
Submissions have now closed.
Submissions opens on
12.00am - Monday 07 June 2021
Submissions close on
5.00pm - Monday 21 June 2021
View the draft amendment documents:
- Draft Explanatory Report (DOCX, 227.8 KB)
- Draft Instruction Sheet (DOC, 81.5 KB)
- Draft Incorporated Document – ‘598-610 Main Street, Bairnsdale (May 2021 (DOCX, 1.5 MB))’
- Clause 54.12 Specific Controls Overlay (PDF, 92.8 KB)
- Draft Planning Scheme Map No. 30 SCO (PDF, 210.1 KB)
- Draft Schedule to Clause 72.03 (What does this Planning Scheme Consist of?) (PDF, 88.8 KB)
- Draft Schedule to Clause 72.04 (Documents Incorporated in this Planning Scheme) (PDF, 125.5 KB).
The draft amendment is supported by the following plans and reports:
- Design Plans (PDF, 8.6 MB)prepared by Select Architects Pty Ltd (9 February 2021)
- Landscape Plan (PDF, 4.1 MB) prepared by John Patrick Landscape Architects Pty Ltd (18 February, 2021)
- Arborist Assessment (PDF, 12.0 MB) prepared by Tree Limits Pty Ltd (15 February, 2021)
- Certificates of Title (PDF, 9.6 MB) (retrieved 15 February 2021)
- Economic Assessment (PDF, 3.9 MB) prepared by Deep End Services Pty Ltd (12 February, 2021)
- Noise Impact Assessment (PDF, 1.5 MB) prepared by Arup Australia Pty Ltd (15 February, 2021)
- Sustainability Management Plan (PDF, 768.4 KB) prepared by Ark Resources Pty Ltd (15 February, 2021)
- Survey Plan (PDF, 1.2 MB) prepared by Crowther & Sadler Pty Ltd (16 December 2020)
- Town Planning Report (PDF, 7.0 MB) prepared by Contour Consultants Aust Pty Ltd (February 2021)
- Transport Impact Assessment (PDF, 7.1 MB) prepared by GTA Consultants (Vic) Pty Ltd (15 February 2021)
- Waste Management Plan (PDF, 122.8 KB) prepared by Landmor Pty Ltd.