The Minister for Planning is considering whether to prepare, adopt and approve Alpine Resorts Planning Scheme Amendment C31alpr under section 20(4) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
What the amendment does
The amendment proposes to implement a review of the planning provisions relating to landslide risk management in the Victorian Alpine Resorts. This includes reducing the extent of the Erosion Management Overlay, amending local policy, introducing exemptions from requiring a planning permit for lower risk buildings and works and providing technical guidance to engineering and geological practitioners about expectations for information submitted to support permit applications.
Specific changes the amendment would make to the Alpine Resorts Planning Scheme include:
- Amends Planning Scheme Map Nos. 1EMO, 2EMO, 3EMO, 4EMO, 5EMO, 6EMO, 7EMO, 8EMO, 9EMO, 10EMO, 11EMO, 12EMO, 13EMO, 15EMO, 16EMO, 17EMO and 18EMO.
- Deletes Planning Scheme Map No. 14EMO.
- Amends Clause 13.04-2L Erosion and landslip in alpine resorts.
- Amends Schedule 1 to Clause 44.01 Erosion Management Overlay
- Amends the Schedule to Clause 66.04 Referral of permit applications under local provisions
- Amends the Schedule to Clause 72.03 What does this planning scheme consist of?
- Amends the Schedule to Clause 72.04 Documents incorporated in this planning scheme
- Amends the Schedule to Clause 72.08 Background documents
Before making a decision about whether to proceed with the draft amendment, the Minister for Planning is undertaking consultation under section 20(5) of the Act to understand the views of affected parties.
Following the consultation period, the Minister may decide to refer this matter to an advisory committee for further advice before making a decision about whether to prepare, adopt and approve the amendment. If you make a submission, you will be informed if the matter is referred to an advisory committee.
The Minister for Planning is the responsible authority and planning authority for the Alpine Resorts Planning Scheme.
The Erosion Management Overlay was introduced into the Alpine Resorts Planning Scheme in 2004 and the overlay was applied to the whole of each resort area.
The Victorian Alpine Resorts Geotechnical Risk Assessment Program assessed and mapped landslide hazards across all of Victoria’s alpine resorts during 2018-2020. It concluded that many parts of the alpine resorts are not prone to significant landslide or erosion hazards. It follows from this work that there is opportunity to reduce the extent of the overlay and introduce some permit exemptions for minor buildings and works.
The decision-making framework for applications in alpine resort areas subject to landslide risk or other slope degradation processes needs to be updated to reflect current industry practice and guidance of the Australian Geomechanics Society Practice Note – Guidelines for landslide risk management, 2007.
To ensure a consistent standard of geotechnical assessment and landslide risk assessment, an incorporated document has been drafted to guide practitioners preparing information in support of applications under the Erosion Management Overlay.
If you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact Bruce Standish, Manager, Regional Planning Services, Department of Transport and Planning at email@example.com.
Have your say
Find out how to get involved and have your say on specific planning reviews
Draft amendment Alpine Resorts C31alpr
Learn about draft amendment Alpine Resorts C31alpr
Submissions opens on
9.00am - Tuesday 11 April 2023
Submissions close on
5.00pm - Tuesday 09 May 2023
Submissions must be made in writing to the Department of Transport and Planning.
You may make a submission by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Draft amendment documents:
- Alpine Resorts C31alpr 001d-emoMaps01_02_03
- Alpine Resorts C31alpr 002emoMaps01_02_03
- Alpine Resorts C31alpr 003d-emoMaps04_05_06_07_08 Exhibition
- Alpine Resorts C31alpr 004emoMaps04_05_06_07_08 Exhibition
- Alpine Resorts C31alpr 005d-emoMaps09_10_11_12 Exhibition
- Alpine Resorts C31alpr 006emoMaps09_10_11_12 Exhibition
- Alpine Resorts C31alpr 007d-emoMaps13_14_15 Exhibition
- Alpine Resorts C31alpr 008emoMaps13_15 Exhibition
- Alpine Resorts C31alpr 009d-emoMaps16_17_18 Exhibition
- Alpine Resorts C31alpr 010emoMaps16_17_18 Exhibition
- C31alpr 13.04 SOIL DEGRADATION Tracked change
- C31alpr 13.04 SOIL DEGRADATIONC31alpr
- C31alpr SCHEDULE 1 TO CLAUSE 44.01 EROSION MANAGEMENT OVERLAY
- C31alpr SCHEDULE TO CLAUSE 66.04 REFERRAL OF PERMIT APPLICATIONS UNDER LOCAL PROVISIONS Tracked changes
- C31alpr SCHEDULE TO CLAUSE 66.04 REFERRAL OF PERMIT APPLICATIONS UNDER LOCAL PROVISIONS
- C31alpr SCHEDULE TO CLAUSE 72.03 WHAT DOES THIS PLANNING SCHEME CONSIST OF_ Tracked changes
- 31alpr SCHEDULE TO CLAUSE 72.03 WHAT DOES THIS PLANNING SCHEME CONSIST OF
- C31alpr SCHEDULE TO CLAUSE 72.04 DOCUMENTS INCORPORATED IN THIS PLANNING SCHEME Tracked changes
- C31alpr SCHEDULE TO CLAUSE 72.04 DOCUMENTS INCORPORATED IN THIS PLANNING SCHEME
- C31alpr SCHEDULE TO CLAUSE 72.08 BACKGROUND DOCUMENTS Tracked changes
- C31alpr SCHEDULE TO CLAUSE 72.08 BACKGROUND DOCUMENTS