The Minister for Planning is considering whether to prepare, adopt and approve Colac Otway Planning Scheme Amendment C123 under section 20(4) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
What the draft amendment does
The Amendment seeks to rezone 50 hectares of land bounded by Sinclair Street South, Irrewillipe Road, Hart Street, and Harris Road, Elliminyt from the Rural Living Zone to the Neighbourhood Residential Zone.
The Amendment would rezone the land in line with the Colac 2050 Growth Plan (Colac Otway Shire 2019). The Colac 2050 Growth Plan establishes a strategic framework for the future planning and development of Colac.
The subject land is identified within the Deans Creek Corridor and prioritises residential development through rezoning and installation of drainage and stormwater management infrastructure. The Amendment would also apply a new Schedule 8 to the Development Plan Overlay (DPO8) to ensure the development occurs in accordance with the broad development principles of the Irrewillipe Road Framework Plan and provision of essential community infrastructure.
In addition, the Amendment would apply a Environmental Audit Overlay to land at 145 Harris Road, Elliminyt which has been identified through preliminary site investigations as having a ‘medium’ potential for contamination.
Specifically, the Amendment makes the following changes to the Colac Otway Planning Scheme:
- Rezone the land from Rural Living Zone to Neighbourhood Residential Zone – Schedule 1 in accordance with the Colac 2050 Growth Plan;
- Apply a Development Plan Overlay – Schedule 8 to ensure comprehensive and coordinated development;
- Apply an Environmental Audit Overlay to 145 Harris Road, Elliminyt.
Before making a decision about whether to proceed with the draft amendment, the Minister for Planning is undertaking consultation under section 20(5) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 to understand the views of affected parties.
Following the consultation period, the Minister may decide to refer this matter to the Priority Projects Standing Advisory Committee for further advice before making a decision about whether to prepare, adopt and approve the amendment. If you make a submission, you will be informed if the matter is referred to the Priority Projects Standing Advisory Committee.
The Minister for Planning has received a request from Colac Otway Shire Council to facilitate the proposal through the Development Facilitation Program. The Victorian Government has identified Victoria’s building and construction sector as a key mechanism to revitalise Victoria’s economy during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
The Development Facilitation Program was established by the Minister following the success of the Building Victoria’s Recovery Taskforce Priority Project Fast-Track pilot program to speed up the assessment and determination of identified priority projects that deliver investment into the Victorian economy, keep people in jobs, and provide a substantial public benefit.
If you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact Robert Churkovich, Planner, Priority Projects Team, Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have your say
Find out how to get involved and have your say on specific planning reviews
Colac Otway draft Planning Scheme Amendment
The draft Colac Otway Planning Scheme Amendment C123 which seeks to rezone the land bounded by Sinclair Street South, Irrewillipe Road, Hart Street, and Harris Road, Elliminyt
Submissions opens on
9.00am - Monday 24 October 2022
Submissions close on
5.00pm - Monday 14 November 2022
You may make a submission by emailing email@example.com.
View the draft amendment documents:
- Draft explanatory report (PDF, 256.1 KB)
- Draft instruction sheet (PDF, 91.6 KB)
- Proposed amendment documents
The draft amendment is supported by the following plans and reports:
- Bushfire Risk Assessment prepared by St Quentin Consulting dated February 2021 (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Cultural Heritage Assessment prepared by CHMG Archaeologists dated 16 December 2020 (PDF, 2.0 MB)
- Infrastructure servicing report prepared by St Quentin Consulting dated July 2020 (PDF, 4.5 MB)
- Planning report prepared by St Quentin Consulting dated May 2021 (PDF, 0 Bytes)
- Preliminary Environmental Site Assessment prepared by St Quentin Consulting dated May 2021 (PDF, 8.1 MB)
- Shared infrastructure plan example prepared by St Quentin Consulting (PDF, 276.2 KB)
- Site and context plan prepared by St Quentin Consulting dated 14 May 2021 (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- Stormwater management plan prepared by Engeny dated April 2022 (PDF, 11.4 MB)
- Traffic impact assessment prepared by Beveridge Williams dated 1 August 2022 (PDF, 9.8 MB)
- Traffic impact assessment prepared by Salt dated 5 May 2021 (PDF, 9.3 MB)
- Vegetation assessment prepared by Okologie consulting dated 17 December 2020 (PDF, 7.5 MB)