Bushfire Management Overlay mapping is reviewed regularly on an ongoing basis. The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) has committed to working with local councils, emergency services and other key stakeholders to ensure the mapping is as accurate and up-to-date as possible.

To find out if land is in a Bushfire Management Overlay, you can generate a Planning Property Report, check at VicPlan or Planning Maps Online, or enquire at your local council or the department's planning enquiries line at 136 186.

Who can make a request?

A request to remove the Bushfire Management Overlay from land can be made at any time by the property owner or local government.

Criteria for assessing the request

A request to remove the Bushfire Management Overlay will be assessed against the mapping criteria set out in Planning Advisory Note 46: Bushfire Management Overlay Mapping Methodology and Criteria (PDF, 157.1 KB) or  (DOC, 150.5 KB).

BMO Criteria Detail
Criteria 1 - Vegetation type and size
  • Forest, woodland, scrub, shrubland, mallee and rainforest vegetation that is 4 ha or more in size.
Criteria 2 - Ember buffer
  • A 150m buffer is applied from the edge of vegetation identified in Criteria 1.
  • This buffer ensures buildings are protected from ember attack from surrounding vegetation.
Criteria 3 - Extreme risk inclusions
  • Area that fire authorities have advised may be subject to extreme landscape bushfires.
  • Factors such as slope, bushfire history and poor access may warrant inclusion.

Making a request

A request to remove the Bushfire Management Overlay should first be discussed with your council who may consult with the CFA and DELWP.

The form below should be used to ensure all relevant information is supplied (including property address and photographic evidence showing the vegetation is no longer present)

There is no fee for lodging a request to review the mapping.

Pre-lodgement discussions with council officers

A request to remove the BMO should be discussed with your local council before you lodge a formal request. Your council will give you general advice and may also consult with the CFA and DELWP.

Providing the contact details of the relevant council officer with your request will streamline the process. It will allow DELWP officers to discuss your application directly with the council in a timely manner.

If the council supports your request this can be added as a note or an attachment. This isn’t mandatory. A landowner can still submit a request without council support however DELWP officers will consult with council.

Assessment of a request

The request should be sent to DELWP for assessment (which is done in consultation with fire and emergency agencies). The request can be submitted by council or the landowner directly to DELWP by emailing planning.systems@delwp.vic.gov.au.

Requests will be assessed by DELWP in consultation with fire and emergency services and councils.

Amending the planning scheme map

Requests for review that are approved by DELWP will be consolidated into a single planning scheme amendment for a number of planning schemes. Regular amendments at six monthly intervals will be prepared by DELWP to update the Bushfire Management Overlay at no cost to local government or the public. The first BMO mapping review was undertaken following gazettal of Amendment GC13 in October 2017.

Page last updated: 17/05/19