Introduction of VicSmart
The VicSmart planning provisions were introduced into the Victoria Planning Provisions and all planning schemes on 19 September 2014 by Amendment VC114, and were then extended in March 2017 by Amendment VC135.
The Victoria Planning Provisions and all planning schemes set out the VicSmart planning assessment process and the classes of application:
- Clause 90 introduces the framework for the VicSmart process and classes of application
- Clause 91 specifies the new process for assessing VicSmart applications
- Clause 92 specifies the classes of application that are State VicSmart classes of application
- Clause 93 specifies the information requirements and decision guidelines for each class of State VicSmart application
- Clause 94 specifies the classes of application that are local VicSmart applications
- Clause 95 specifies the information requirements and decision guidelines for each local class of application.
Changes to the Planning and Environment Regulations to implement VicSmart were also made on 19 September 2014. The Planning and Environment Regulations were amended to:
- prescribe a time of 10 business days after which an application for review of a failure to grant a permit for a VicSmart application may be made
- prescribe a time of five business days within which the responsible authority may require further information and stop the statutory clock
- insert a definition of a VicSmart application
- require the responsible authority to specify in the planning register whether an application is a VicSmart application.
Additional tools for councils
Forms and templates
- Planner and Practitioner Guide (PDF, 770.0 KB) or (DOC, 272.0 KB)
- Model Officer Report Template (DOC, 51.0 KB)
- Cover sheet: CEO Model Delegation Instrument for VicSmart Applications (PDF, 504.5 KB)
- Template for Delegation from CEO (updated 26 August 2014) (DOC, 86.5 KB)
- VicSmart application form March 2017 (PDF, 292.2 KB) or (DOC, 111.5 KB)
- Combined application form - standard or VicSmart, September 2014 (PDF, 328.4 KB) or (DOC, 101.0 KB)