Some permit applications have specific requirements that need to be allowed for when preparing your application.

More information about some proposals is provided below. Additional information relevant to other proposals may be available on our web site.

Alpine Resorts planning information

Guidance about planning permit applications and contact details for planning in the Victorian Alpine Resorts.

More information about Alpine Resorts

Building permits

The Building Act 1993 outlines obligations for building surveyors – both council and private – and responsible authorities regarding the interaction and relationship between building and planning permit applications.

Building permit requirements

All single dwellings require a building permit, regardless of whether a planning permit is also required. In most cases single dwelling developments only require a building permit.

The siting provisions which apply to residential development can be found in Part 5 of the Victorian Building Regulations 2018. They apply to all single dwellings except where a planning permit is required for the construction of that building and the planning scheme regulates the same matters.

More information

More information about the building permit process and the application of siting provisions is available from:

Farm planning and intensive animal industries

Information about preparing a Farm Plan can be found at Agriculture Victoria. This might be useful when you’re preparing a planning application.

Heritage overlay

If your work or proposal will impact a locally significant heritage place in the Heritage Overlay, you’ll need a planning permit from your local Council to:

  • Subdivide land
  • Demolish or remove a building (including part of a building)
  • Construct a building (including part of a building or a fence)
  • Externally alter a building
  • Construct or carry out works
  • Construct or display a sign
  • Externally paint an unpainted surface
  • Externally paint a building if the painting constitutes an advertisement

Check the ‘Schedule to the Heritage Overlay’ in your planning scheme to find out if other controls apply to your property. Sometimes external paint controls, internal alteration controls, and control over trees also apply.

The Heritage Overlay doesn’t always cover a whole property. Check the planning scheme maps to find out where the overlay applies.

We also recommend that you discuss your proposal with your local Council planning department before committing to a project.

Native vegetation

If your work or proposal might impact native vegetation, refer to Victoria's native vegetation permitted clearing regulations.

Potable water supply catchments

These guidelines have been prepared to assist responsible authorities and water corporations when assessing a planning permit application for use and development of land within open, potable water supply catchments. Published by the Victorian Government ISBN 978-1-74287-725-9 (online).

Refer to the Planning permit applications in open, potable water supply catchment areas, November 2012, Department of Sustainability and Environment.

This planning practice note has been prepared to advise responsible authorities, water corporations and landowners about how drinking water catchments are protected through guidelines, codes of practice, legislation, the planning scheme and model permit conditions.

Residential development

All planning schemes in Victoria contain provisions for locally responsive residential development. The residential development provisions apply to the construction or extension of one or more dwellings on a lot and to the subdivision of land in residential zones, with standards on:

  • Neighbourhood character
  • Site layout and building massing
  • Amenity impacts
  • On-site facilities
  • Detailed design

The standards for residential development are generally covered by Victorian planning schemes and the Victorian Building Regulations.

Restrictive covenants

Restrictive covenants are private agreements between land owners which may limit the way land may be used and developed. If your land has a restrictive covenant on the title you might need to remove or vary the covenant before your planning permit is approved.

More information about restrictive covenants


Some applications for a planning permit are eligible for a simpler VicSmart assessment. Find out if you qualify or view more information for applicant and councils.

Page last updated: 28/10/21