The Minister for Planning, not the local council, is the responsible authority for some applications. This means that the Minister is responsible for the application process and making a decision.

Register of permit applications

Like all responsible authorities, the Minister must keep a planning register of applications, that can be viewed online.

The online register includes details of:

  • All planning permit applications determined since 29 November 2014.
  • All planning permit applications which are currently active, as of 13 August 2015.
  • All planning permit applications received since 13 August 2015.

View the Minister's Planning Permit Application Register

The register of planning permit applications determined by the Minister before 29 November 2014 can be viewed below:

Where the Minister is responsible

The Minister for Planning is responsible for making decisions on planning permit applications in the following areas:

  • The Port of Melbourne Planning Scheme
  • Central Dandenong, Kew Residential Services, Waverley Park
  • The Alpine Resorts Planning Scheme (Mt Hotham, Falls Creek, Mt Buller, Mt Stirling, Mt Baw Baw, & Lake Mountain)
  • French Island and Sandstone Island
  • The Melbourne Planning Scheme where:
    • The proposed development exceeds 25,000 square metres
    • The proposed development and use of land is on behalf of the Minister of the Crown
    • The site is the Melbourne Showgrounds or Flemington Racecourse
    • The proposal is on other specific sites, including the Melbourne Casino.
  • The Port Phillip Planning Scheme (Fishermans Bend Urban Renewal Area) where development is located in specific areas and the application is for one of the following:
    • Development with a building height of 4 storeys or greater
    • Use and or/development for 60 or more dwellings
    • Use and/or development with a gross floor area exceeding 10,000 square metres
    • Use and or/development where any part of the land is owned by a public authority and/or municipal council and the estimated cost of development is more than $10,000,000.
  • Central Geelong, where the application is for one of the following:
    • use and/or development in excess of 5,000 square metres
    • use and/or development of five or more storeys, excluding a basement
    • use and/or development of 50 or more dwellings.

These areas of responsibility change from time to time.

Each planning scheme also lists who is responsible for administering that scheme (issuing permits). This is usually the council, but the Minister may be responsible for some specific types of applications, or for particular properties.

You can check Clause 61.01 and the Schedule to Clause 61.01 of the relevant planning scheme for this information. If you are not sure, please speak to a council planner.

Officer reports

When the Minister is responsible for a planning permit application, a report is prepared by the Department. The report assesses the proposal against the relevant planning controls and policies, and contains technical advice used to inform the Minister’s decision.

View the officer reports

Application form

If you are applying for a planning permit and the Minister is responsible for making a decision, use this application form:

New digital tools available for Ministerial Permits – Online from mid - 2018
Did you know that from June 2018, applicants will be able to lodge, pay and track their Ministerial Permit applications online.

Visit Smart Planning for more information.

More information

If you have questions or need advice about an area where the Minister is responsible for planning permit decisions contact:

☎ Phone: 1800 789 386
✉ Email: