On this page:
Draft Amendment C333ston to the Stonnington Planning Scheme and draft Planning Permit PA2302308 are proposed under Part 4, Division 5 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (the Act).
The affected land is Cabrini Hospital, Malvern, situated at 183 & 185-189 Wattletree Road, 2 and 4 Coonil Crescent and Coonil Crescent Road Reserve (part).
The proposal seeks to amend the Stonnington Planning Scheme and grant a planning permit under Section 96A of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 to provide for the staged expansion and redevelopment of the Cabrini Hospital Malvern.
The Minister for Planning is considering a request to prepare, adopt and approve draft Amendment C333ston, approve an associated Master Plan and to grant Planning Permit PA2302308. Consultation is being undertaken under section 20(5) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 to inform the Minister’s consideration of the request.
The Minister for Planning has received a request for intervention from Planning and Property Partners, on behalf of Cabrini Health for accelerated assessment and determination via the Development Facilitation Program.
The proposal includes the following:
Planning scheme amendment
- Delete Incorporated Plan Overlay Schedule 1 (IPO1) from the main hospital site.
- Delete Heritage Overlay Schedule 375 (HO375) from 4 Coonil Crescent.
- Insert a new reference in the Schedule to Clause 52.02 (Easements, Restrictions and Reserves) to remove a restrictive covenant that currently applies to 2 Coonil Crescent.
- Rezone the main hospital site, current at grade carpark, 2 and 4 Coonil Crescent and part of the Coonil Crescent Road Reserve to Special Use Zone Schedule 2 (SUZ2).
- Introduce and apply Development Plan Overlay Schedule 6 (DPO6) to the land.
- Amend the Schedule to Clause 72.01 of the Stonnington Planning Scheme to make the Minister for Planning the responsible authority for:
- Matters under Divisions 1, 1A, 2, 3, and 5 of Part 4 and Division 2 of Part 9 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 and matters required by a permit or the scheme to be endorsed, approved or done to the satisfaction of the Responsible Authority, in relation to land at 183 & 185-189 Wattletree Road, 2 and 4 Coonil Crescent and Coonil Crescent Road Reserve (part), Malvern (Cabrini Hospital Malvern).
A draft Master Plan titled ‘Cabrini Malvern, Master Plan – November 2022’ seeks to facilitate the orderly future expansion of the hospital. The master plan is proposed to be concurrently considered and approved under the Development Plan Overlay Schedule 6. It includes:
- Staged redevelopment and expansion of Cabrini Hospital Malvern, including new buildings comprising administration, palliative care, wards, and consulting rooms, up to 6 storeys and internal works to existing buildings.
- Pedestrian and vehicle access arrangements updated from Wattletree Road/Coonil Crescent including a new ground level entry foyer, updated vehicle access for the emergency department, ambulance pick up and drop off, and new patient/visitor basement parking levels.
Draft Planning Permit PA2302308
- Draft Planning Permit PA2302308 seeks approval for Stage 1B works as proposed in the Draft Master Plan and Stage 1B development plans.
- Stage 1B proposes expansion of the existing theatre block in the north-western corner of the site for new theatres and holding rooms. This comprises of 460sqm of additional floorspace and refurbishment of approximately 1,200sqm of floorspace. No new beds are proposed under Stage 1B.
Before making a decision about whether to prepare and approve the draft Amendment, master plan and draft Planning Permit, the Minister for Planning is undertaking consultation under section 20(5) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 to understand the views of affected parties.
Public consultation open
9 am 26 June 2023
Public consultation closes
5 pm 24 July 2023
Make a submission
Make a submission to email: email@example.com
Before making a decision about whether to proceed with the draft amendment, the Minister is consulting with the community to understand the views of affected parties.
Following the consultation period, the Minister may refer the matter to the Priority Projects Standing Advisory Committee for advice before making a decision about whether to prepare, adopt and approve the amendment, and approve the master plan and planning permit. If you make a submission, you will be informed if the matter is referred to the Priority Projects Standing Advisory Committee.
Learn about making a submission.
If you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact Tim Hector, Senior Planner, Department of Transport and Planning: firstname.lastname@example.org
Page last updated: 02/08/23