Clause 55 of all planning schemes applies to the development of two or more dwellings on a lot and residential buildings and a planning permit is always required (see Clause 74 Land Use Terms in planning schemes).
When land is within one of five residential zones – Residential Growth Zone, General Residential Zone, Neighbourhood Residential Zone, Mixed Use Zone or Township Zone, Clause 55 applies to:
- construction of a second dwelling if there is at least one dwelling existing on the lot;
- construction of two or more dwellings on a lot;
- extension of a dwelling if there are two or more dwellings on the lot;
- construction or extension of a dwelling on common property, or;
- construction or extension of a residential building.
- Purpose, application, operation and requirements
- 55.01 Neighbourhood and site description and design response
- 55.02 Neighbourhood character and infrastructure
- 55.03 Site layout and building massing
- 55.04 Amenity impacts
- 55.05 On-site amenity and facilities
- 55.06 Detailed design.
For advice on the planning scheme provisions that apply to two or more dwellings on a lot and residential buildings you can read the relevant planning scheme, contact the planning department at the relevant council or a town planning consultant.
Page last updated: 10/04/18