Vincent Care Victoria (Vincent Care) applied for a permit for redevelopment of 179-191 Flemington Road and 68-74A Chapman Street, North Melbourne (Permit No TP-2016-441) on 3 June 2016.
The proposal seeks approval for:
- the development of an 11‐storey building that will be used for a Homeless Resource Centre and Accommodation
- construction of 20 townhouses accessed from Chapman Street for private sale
- buildings and works within a Heritage Overlay, including demolition
- reduction in car parking
- creation of access to road in Road Zone – Category 1.
Melbourne City Council issued a Notice of Decision to Grant a Permit on 19 August 2016, and an appeal to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) was lodged on 20 September 2016 seeking a review of the decision.
The Minister for Planning called this matter in from VCAT pursuant to Section 58(2)(a) of Schedule 1 to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 1998.
The Minister appointed an Advisory Committee on 29 November 2016 pursuant to Section 151 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 to provide advice to the Minister on whether a planning permit should be issued for the proposed development and if so, what would be the appropriate conditions for the permit.
The role of the Advisory Committee is to:
- Give parties to the VCAT proceeding an opportunity to be heard in an independent forum in an informal, non-judicial manner
- Give independent advice to the Minister for Planning on the matters outlined in the terms of reference.
Terms of reference
The Minister for Planning signed a Terms of Reference (PDF, 1.1 MB) in relation to this matter on 29 November 2016.
- Lester Townsend.
Standing Advisory Committee Status
The Public Hearing commenced on 15 December 2016.
All information provided at the Hearing has been treated as public documents.
Day to day liaison for this matter from Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning will be through Adam Henson, Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, 8392 5468 or by email email@example.com.
Day to day liaison for the Advisory Committee will be through Emily To of Planning Panels Victoria on 8392 5120 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.