The draft Planning Policy Framework was drafted to:
- change the way planners make decisions: a facilitation approach rather than a regulation approach
- be more user friendly: easier to read, understand and navigate
- include more graphics
- link state, regional and local policy to better align policy matters ensuring local policy retains its important role.
The Committee also brought the state and regional policy content of planning policy up to date including:
- incorporating Plan Melbourne (October 2013) and regional growth plans
- updating the PPF to clarify major reforms to the state's commercial, industrial, residential and rural zones.
The draft PPF integrates state, regional and local policy so it’s easier to interpret the policy when making planning and development decisions.
All state, regional and local policy on a particular issue is now in one Clause, rather than being spread across the SPPF, Municipal Strategic Statement (MSS) and Local Policies.
The draft PPF for all planning schemes includes high level state policy about each issue to provide a context for decision making. Only relevant detailed policy that applies to a particular municipality is included that draft PPF (for example, Stonnington does not contain detailed rural land policy; Indigo does not contain detailed coastal policy).
The Integrated Policy Framework
|Whole of Victoria|
|Applies to all planning schemes|
|Regional Victoria||Applies to all planning schemes with land outside Melbourne's metropolitan Boundary|
|Thematic areas||Applies to planning schemes with particular types of land, for example, coastal areas|
|Regions||These are the regions covered by the regional growth plans and metropolitan Melbourne|
Local Policy Template
A local policy template is available to assist councils in trialling how the MSS and Local Policies may be translated into the draft PPF format.
Advisory Committee Report
The Advisory Committee Report will be made available here once it is made available to the public.
- FAQs about the draft Planning Policy Framework (PDF, 66.8 KB) or (DOCX, 281.0 KB)
- Summary of key elements (PDF, 208.6 KB) or (DOCX, 157.7 KB)
- Draft Planning Policy Framework Consultation Presentation (PDF, 8.6 MB)
View the video outlining the rationale behind the format of the PPF, and how the document works.
Page last updated: 09/06/17