The Minister for Planning has appointed an Inquiry and Advisory Committee (IAC) to consider the Environment Effects Statement, a draft Planning Scheme Amendment (PSA) affecting the Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Melbourne, Port of Melbourne and Wyndham Planning Schemes and public submissions associated with the West Gate Tunnel Project in accordance with the approved Terms of Reference.
The IAC will also consider submissions on the works approval application for the road tunnel ventilation systems included in the Project, and in doing so fulfil a Section 20B Conference under the Environment Protection Act 1970.
The IAC will consider the West Gate Tunnel Project that includes the following:
- upgrade and widening of the existing West Gate Freeway by two lanes in each direction between Williamstown Road and M80 interchange generally to provide overall capacity of six through lanes each way and auxiliary lanes as required, widening of the Princes Freeway between the M80 and Kororoit Creek Road, collector-distributor carriageways, elevated ramps, structures and surface road connections including new ramp connections to and from Hyde Street;
- two bored tunnels catering for three traffic lanes in each direction under Yarraville which include a road tunnel ventilation system, tunnel portals and ventilation structures
- bridges across the Maribyrnong River connecting the tunnels with twin viaducts above Footscray Road and connections to the Port of Melbourne, CityLink, Dynon Road and extension of Wurundjeri Way to Dynon Road and widening to Flinders Street
- improvements, extensions and upgrades to the existing pedestrian and bicycle network, as well as the creation of new public open space areas and relocation of services.
Terms of Reference
The Minister for Planning signed a Terms of Reference in relation to this project on 26 May.
Inquiry and Advisory Committee members
The Minister has appointed the following members to the IAC:
- Nick Wimbush (Chair)
- Mandy Elliott (Deputy Chair)
- William O’Neil (Deputy Chair)
- Jenny Donovan
- Kate Partenio
Read the members biographies (DOC, 43.0 KB).
Exhibition period and submissions
The EES, works approval application and draft planning scheme amendment were publicly exhibited from 29 May to 10 July 2017. A total of 504 submissions have been received.
The IAC is progressively uploading the submissions here as it receives consent from submissions authors. Hard copy sets of the submissions are also available for inspection at:
- City of Melbourne, Level 3, 240 Little Collins Street, Melbourne
- Hobsons Bay City Council, 115 Civic Parade, Altona
- Maribyrnong City Council, 61 Napier Street, Footscray
- Brimbank City Council, 301 Hampshire Road, Sunshine
- City of Wyndham, 45 Princes Highway, Werribee
Public information session
The IAC held a public information session on Friday 16 June 2017 at Footscray Community Arts Centre, 45 Moreland Street, Footscray.
The purpose of this briefing was to provide the IAC representatives with an overview of the project components and EES.
The IAC has issued the following Preliminary Matters and Further Information Request (PDF, 551.1 KB) to the proponent.
The directions hearing was held on Wednesday 19 July 2017 at the Footscray Community Arts Centre, 45 Moreland Street, Footscray.
As a result of the directions hearing, the IAC issued directions and an evidence distribution list (PDF, 302.2 KB).
Expert Witness Reports
The Expert Witness Reports circulated in accordance with Direction 30 are available online.
The public hearings commence on 14 August 2017 at the Footscray Community Arts Centre, 45 Moreland Street, Footscray.
The IAC has issued version 5 of the timetable for the hearings. Subsequent versions of the timetable will be made available here as they are issued.
All documents tabled at the Hearing will be made available online.
The IAC must submit its report in accordance with the time-frame stipulated in the Terms of Reference (PDF, 1008.6 KB).
More information about the West Gate Tunnel Project is available at westgatetunnelproject.vic.gov.au.
- Inquiry and advisory committee process, submissions and IAC information sessions
Planning Panels Victoria
(03) 8392 5121
- EES process
Impact Assessment Unit
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
(03) 8392 5503
- EPA works approval application process
1300 372 842
- West Gate Tunnel Project and the EES documentation
1300 280 939