The Minister for Planning has appointed an Inquiry and Advisory Committee (IAC) to consider the Environment Effects Statement, a draft Planning Scheme Amendment (PSA) affecting the Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Melbourne, Port of Melbourne and Wyndham Planning Schemes and public submissions associated with the West Gate Tunnel Project in accordance with the approved Terms of Reference.
The IAC will also consider submissions on the works approval application for the road tunnel ventilation systems included in the Project, and in doing so fulfil a Section 20B Conference under the Environment Protection Act 1970.
The IAC will consider the West Gate Tunnel Project that includes the following:
- upgrade and widening of the existing West Gate Freeway by two lanes in each direction between Williamstown Road and M80 interchange generally to provide overall capacity of six through lanes each way and auxiliary lanes as required, widening of the Princes Freeway between the M80 and Kororoit Creek Road, collector-distributor carriageways, elevated ramps, structures and surface road connections including new ramp connections to and from Hyde Street;
- two bored tunnels catering for three traffic lanes in each direction under Yarraville which include a road tunnel ventilation system, tunnel portals and ventilation structures
- bridges across the Maribyrnong River connecting the tunnels with twin viaducts above Footscray Road and connections to the Port of Melbourne, CityLink, Dynon Road and extension of Wurundjeri Way to Dynon Road and widening to Flinders Street
- improvements, extensions and upgrades to the existing pedestrian and bicycle network, as well as the creation of new public open space areas and relocation of services.
Terms of Reference
The Minister for Planning signed a Terms of Reference in relation to this project on 26 May.
The Minister has appointed the following members to the IAC:
- Nick Wimbush (Chair)
- Mandy Elliott (Deputy Chair)
- William O’Neil (Deputy Chair)
- Jenny Donovan
- Kate Partenio
Read the members biographies (DOC, 43.0 KB).
Exhibition period and submissions
The EES, works approval application and draft planning scheme amendment are on public exhibition from 29 May to 10 July 2017.
IAC public information session
The IAC will hold a public information session on Friday 16 June 2017 at Footscray Community Arts Centre, 45 Moreland Street, Footscray. The session will commence at 10.00am and will continue until approximately 1.00pm . The objective of this briefing is to provide the IAC representatives with an overview of the project components and EES. Procedural matters and other issues will be held over until the Directions Hearing. Relevant Councils, Agencies and community groups have been invited to attend the briefing to observe. The general public are welcome to attend but given the venue limitations priority for access will be given to the invited groups. If you wish to attend the session could you please RSVP by 5.00pm on Tuesday 13 June 2017 to email@example.com.
The directions hearing will be held commencing at 10.00am on Wednesday 19 July 2017 at Footscray Community Arts Centre, 45 Moreland Street, Footscray.
At this hearing, the IAC will establish the necessary arrangements and a timetable for public hearings.
The public hearings will commence on 14 August 2017 for approximately five weeks at Footscray Community Arts Centre, 45 Moreland Street, Footscray
The IAC must submit its report in accordance with the timeframe in the Terms of Reference.
More information about the West Gate Tunnel Project is available at westgatetunnelproject.vic.gov.au
- West Gate Tunnel Project and the EES documentation
1300 280 939
- EES process
Impact Assessment Unit
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
(03) 8392 5503
- EPA works approval application process
1300 372 842
- Inquiry and Advisory Committee process, submissions and IAC information sessions
DELWP Customer Service Centre