The Minister for Planning appointed an Inquiry and Advisory Committee (IAC) to consider the Environment Effects Statement, a draft Planning Scheme Amendment (PSA) affecting the Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Melbourne, Port of Melbourne and Wyndham Planning Schemes and public submissions associated with the West Gate Tunnel Project in accordance with the approved Terms of Reference.
The IAC also considered submissions on the works approval application for the road tunnel ventilation systems included in the Project, and in doing so fulfil a Section 20B Conference under the Environment Protection Act 1970.
The IAC considered the West Gate Tunnel Project that includes the following:
- upgrade and widening of the existing West Gate Freeway by two lanes in each direction between Williamstown Road and M80 interchange generally to provide overall capacity of six through lanes each way and auxiliary lanes as required, widening of the Princes Freeway between the M80 and Kororoit Creek Road, collector-distributor carriageways, elevated ramps, structures and surface road connections including new ramp connections to and from Hyde Street;
- two bored tunnels catering for three traffic lanes in each direction under Yarraville which include a road tunnel ventilation system, tunnel portals and ventilation structures
- bridges across the Maribyrnong River connecting the tunnels with twin viaducts above Footscray Road and connections to the Port of Melbourne, CityLink, Dynon Road and extension of Wurundjeri Way to Dynon Road and widening to Flinders Street
- improvements, extensions and upgrades to the existing pedestrian and bicycle network, as well as the creation of new public open space areas and relocation of services.
Terms of reference
The Minister for Planning signed Terms of Reference in relation to this project on 26 May.
The Minister appointed the following members to the IAC:
- Nick Wimbush (Chair)
- Mandy Elliott (Deputy Chair)
- William O’Neil (Deputy Chair)
- Jenny Donovan
- Kate Partenio.
Read the members biographies (DOC, 43.0 KB).
Exhibition period and submissions
The EES, works approval application and draft planning scheme amendment were publicly exhibited from 29 May to 10 July 2017. A total of 504 submissions were received.
Public information session
The IAC held a public information session on Friday 16 June 2017 at Footscray Community Arts Centre, 45 Moreland Street, Footscray.
The purpose of this briefing was to provide the IAC representatives with an overview of the project components and EES.
The IAC issued the following Preliminary Matters and Further Information Request (PDF, 551.1 KB) to the proponent.
The directions hearing was held on Wednesday 19 July 2017 at the Footscray Community Arts Centre, 45 Moreland Street, Footscray.
As a result of the directions hearing, the IAC issued directions and an evidence distribution list (PDF, 302.2 KB).
Expert Witness Reports
The Expert Witness Reports circulated in accordance with Direction 30 are available online.
The public hearings commenced on 14 August 2017 at the Footscray Community Arts Centre, 45 Moreland Street, Footscray.
All documents tabled at the Hearing are available online via the link below.