The proposal is for a concurrent planning scheme amendment and planning permit for Burnham Beeches (1 Sherbrooke Road, Sherbrooke). Yarra Ranges Shire Council is the Planning Authority for the Amendment, and Burnham Beeches Pty Ltd is the Proponent.
Planning Scheme Amendment
The proposal seeks to change the planning scheme to allow more flexibility for Burnham Beeches to change and develop over time consistent with its designation as a major tourist facility.
The site is currently in the Special Use Zone for Major Tourist Development. The existing planning controls were created prior to the implementation of the Yarra Ranges Planning Scheme in July 2000. The proposed amendment will remove the current cap on patron numbers and allow a broader range of potential land uses (subject to a planning permit).
- View the amendment documentation.
Planning Permit Application
Concurrent with the proposed planning scheme amendment, a planning permit is proposed to allow for (in summary):
- a licensed residential hotel in the Norris Building (main hotel building) of 48 rooms, including ancillary bar and dining area
- two licensed restaurants (existing bakery/café and a new restaurant) in the Piggery Building
- a brewery with associated food and drink areas
- a shop and licensed food and drink premises
- staff accommodation (two buildings)
- intersection works for the Sherbrooke Road entry
- vegetation removal
Panel or Committee
Yarra Ranges Planning Scheme Amendment C142: Burnham Beeches Panel
The role of the Panel is to:
- give submitters an opportunity to be heard in an independent forum in an informal, non-judicial manner
- give independent advice to the Planning Authority and the Minister about the proposed amendment.
- Natasha Reifschneider
- Lester Townsend (Chair)
- Peter Edwards
Read more about the members by reading their biographies (DOC, 48.0 KB).
The Amendment was exhibited from 20 October 2016 to 1 October 2016.
A Directions Hearing will be held:
10.00am, Tuesday 14 November 2017
Japara House, Living and Learning Centre
54/58 Durham Rd, Kilsyth
You should attend the Directions Hearing if:
- you are unfamiliar with the Panel process and wish to participate in the Public Hearing process
- you have any questions about the Panel process or wish to raise any procedural issues.
The Hearing is scheduled to commence in the week of 4 December 2017, and is expected to be completed in 4 days.
Download a copy of the hearing timetable (PDF, 126.9 KB)
The Hearing is open to all submitters and the public to attend.
The report must be provided to the planning authority within 40 business days after the last date of the Panel hearing or after all information necessary to prepare the report has been received by the Panel.
If you have any questions or need further information, get in touch via the contact details below.
- For information about the submission and public hearing process, please contact:
Planning Panels Victoria
☎ Phone: (03) 8392 5120
✉ Email: email@example.com
All documentation relating to this project can be found here.