On this page:

Legislation administered by the Minister for Planning

Building and plumbing regulations

All building and plumbing work in Victoria must follow:

The Building Act sets the legal framework for the regulation of:

  • building construction
  • building standards
  • maintenance of specific safety features
  • registration of building and plumbing practitioners in Victoria.

The building and plumbing regulations incorporate the National Construction Code and relevant Australian standards.

Building work must also comply with any building permit issued.

Our role

Our role is to:

  • assist the Minister for Planning to fulfil their statutory obligations
  • oversee the effective and efficient operation of the state's building system
  • lead the development of reform strategies to deliver on government priorities for the building and plumbing sectors, including cladding rectification
  • contribute to national dialogue around building issues
  • provide the government with strategic policy advice on matters related to the building and plumbing sectors, including caravan parks
  • provides strategic oversight of the Government’s response to combustible cladding and the corporate governance of the Department of Transport and Planning (DTP) building statutory bodies.

Primary regulators

Regulation of building and plumbing practitioners

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) is the state’s principal regulator for building and plumbing practitioners to ensure the achievement of safe and compliant building and plumbing industries in Victoria.

VBA can help you:

  • find information about a registered or licensed practitioner
  • make a complaint about the conduct of a registered or licensed building or plumbing practitioner
  • appoint a building surveyor
  • terminate the appointment of a private building surveyor.

Regulation of architects

The Architects Registration Board of Victoria (ARBV) is the state’s regulator for architects and design practitioners under the Architects Act and Architects Regulations 2015. The Architects Act also allows the Minister to require architects to be covered by insurance.

Regulation of caravan parks and movable dwellings

Part 14 of the Residential Tenancies Act and the Residential Tenancies (Caravan Parks and Movable Dwellings Registration and Standards) Regulations 2020 set the regulations for caravan parks and movable dwellings.

Find out about regulation of caravan parks and movable dwellings.

Page last updated: 11/07/23