Proponent: Kalbar Resources Ltd
Kalbar Resources Ltd proposes to develop the Fingerboards Mineral Sands Project which has an approximate area of 1,400 hectares and is located approximately 20 kilometres north-west of Bairnsdale in East Gippsland, Victoria.
The proposal includes:
- the development of a mineral sands mine, mining unit plant
- wet concentrator plant (comprising mineral separation processing and tailings thickening and disposal plant)
- water supply infrastructure
- tailings storage facility
- additional site facilities, such as a site office, warehouse, workshop, loading facilities and fuel storage.
Proposed mining methods involve open pit mining to extract approximately 200 million tonnes of ore over a projected mine life of 20 years. Mine products are proposed to be transported via road or by rail for export overseas.
The mining project would require up to 3000 kilowatt hours of power likely to be supplied from the electricity grid and annual water requirements of approximately 3 to 4 gigalitres.
18 December 2016: the Minister for Planning required Kalbar Resources to prepare an Environment Effects Statements (EES) under the Environment Effects Act 1978 to assess the potential environmental effects of the project:
Kalbar has prepared a communication and consultation plan for the EES, outlining the opportunities and approaches for their community engagement during the preparation of the EES. The plan has been refined following advice from the department and Technical Reference Group and is published on this web page. Kalbar welcomes community input on the plan at any time. The consultation process may be adapted or modified to meet changing community needs and requirements.
Draft Scoping Requirements for this EES were on public exhibition from 13 September 2017 until 5:00pm, 6 October 2017. Public comments on the draft Scoping Requirements are invited.
View the draft Scoping Requirements:
After considering public submissions on the draft Scoping Requirements, the Minister for Planning will issue final Scoping Requirements for the EES.
Technical Reference Group
DELWP has convened an inter-agency Technical Reference Group at the request of the Minister for Planning to advise DELWP and the proponent on scoping and adequacy of the EES studies and documentation, as well as coordination of the EES process with other statutory processes for the project.
The government organisations represented on the Technical Reference Group are:
- DELWP - Impact Assessment
- DELWP - Region & Biodiversity
- Department of Economic Development Jobs Transport and Resources(Earth Resources Regulation)
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Aboriginal Victoria
- Heritage Victoria
- EPA Victoria
- Parks Victoria
- East Gippsland Water
- Southern Rural Water
- West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority
- East Gippsland Catchment Management Authority
- East Gippsland Shire Council
- Wellington Shire Council.
Technical Reference Group representatives are supported by internal experts on specific aspects of the EES studies.
If you have any questions or feedback, please get in touch via the contact details below.
- Proposed Fingerboards Mineral Sands Project
Kalbar Resources Ltd - Fingerboards Mineral Sands Project
☎ Phone:1800 791 396 (Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm)
✉ Email: email@example.com
- EES process
Environment Assessment Unit
☎ Phone: (03) 8392 5477
✉ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org