Iluka Resources Limited proposes to develop the Wimmera Mineral Sands project which has an approximate area of 2,600 hectares and is located approximately 35 kilometres south-west of Horsham.
The WIM100 deposit contains approximately 200 million tonnes (Mt) of heavy mineral sands ore which is proposed to be extracted and refined onsite to produce zircon, titanium oxide and rare earth products.
The proposal includes:
- the development of a mineral sands mine
- processing plants (including a mineral separation, zircon refinery and rare earthy refinery)
- ore receival and liquification system
- mine by-products transport and containment infrastructure
- offsite infrastructure such as powerlines, water pipelines, access roads and a temporary construction camp
- additional offsite infrastructure such as administration buildings, water storage dams, fuel storage and lay down areas.
The proposed mining method is likely to be progressive mining using mobile earthmoving equipment. Approximately 9-10 million tonnes of ore per annum will be extracted, which will be refined onsite to produce 192,000 tonnes of recoverable mineral product per annum, over the projected 25-year mine life.
Draft scoping requirements for this EES were placed on exhibition in March 2020. After considering public submissions on the draft scoping requirements, the Minister for Planning issued final scoping requirements in May 2020, dated April 2020.
Final Scoping Requirements (PDF, 1.5 MB) or (DOCX, 1.3 MB)
Scoping Requirements Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Scoping Requirements Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (PDF, 149.4 KB) or (DOCX, 105.5 KB)
Iluka Resources Limited has prepared a consultation plan for the EES, outlining the opportunities and approaches for its community engagement during the preparation of the EES.
The Plan may be updated as required during the preparation of the EES. If the plan changes, the updated version will be posted on this page.
Technical Reference Group
The Department has convened an inter-agency Technical Reference Group (TRG) to advise the proponent and the department, as appropriate, on scoping and adequacy of the EES studies during the preparation of the EES, as well as coordination with statutory approval processes.
The government organisations represented on the Technical Reference Group are:
- DTP -Impact Assessment
- DEECA- Grampians Region (biodiversity)
- DTP - Planning
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Earth Resources Regulations
- First Peoples-State Relations
- Heritage Victoria
- Parks Victoria
- Horsham Rural City Council
- Wimmera Catchment Management Authority
- GWM Water
- Regional Roads Victoria
- Environment Protection Authority
- Earth Resources Regulation
Technical Reference Group representatives are supported by internal experts on specific aspects of the EES studies.
On 17 August 2019 the Minister for Planning required Iluka Resources Limited to prepare an environment effects statement (EES) under the Environment Effects Act 1978 to assess the potential environmental effects of the project.
Minister's Reason for Decision (PDF, 40.8 KB) or (DOCX, 31.1 KB)
If you have any questions or feedback, please get in touch via the contact details below.
- Proposed Wimmera Mineral Sands project queries:
Iluka Resources Limited
☎ Phone: (03) 8964 6268
✉ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- EES process queries:
Impact Assessment Unit
✉ Email: email@example.com
Page last updated: 09/02/23