The project comprises the development of a gas terminal using a ship known as a floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU) at Refinery Pier in Corio Bay, adjacent to Viva Energy’s Geelong Refinery.
The project would bring natural gas from other parts of the country and overseas to meet south-eastern Australian gas market demand.
The key components of the project:
- Extension of the existing Refinery Pier – a new pier arm, new berth and ancillary pier infrastructure.
- Localised dredging for the new berth and ship turning basin, and deposition of dredged sediment at the existing Point Wilson dredged material ground.
- The FSRU continuously moored at the new berth, which would receive liquefied natural gas (LNG) from visiting LNG carriers, store and convert the LNG into natural gas when needed.
- A treatment facility located within the Geelong Refinery site to check that the gas meets transmission system standards, where odorant and nitrogen (when required) is added.
- A 7-kilometre pipeline to transfer the gas from the FSRU to the South West Pipeline connection point at Lara, comprising a 3-kilometre aboveground section and a 4-kilometre underground section.
Inquiry and advisory committee
See Planning Panels Victoria Viva Energy Gas Terminal Inquiry and Advisory Committee.
The scoping requirements set out the matters to be investigated and documented in the EES.
Draft scoping requirements for this EES were placed on public exhibition in April-May 2021. After considering public submissions on the draft scoping requirements, the Minister for Planning issued final scoping requirements in July 2021, dated June 2021.
Scoping Requirements Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Viva Energy has prepared a consultation plan for the EES, outlining the opportunities and approaches for its community engagement during the preparation of the EES.
The plan may be updated as required during the preparation of the EES. If the plan changes, the updated version will be posted on this page.
Technical reference group
The Department will convene an inter-agency Technical Reference Group to advise the proponent and the Department, as appropriate, on scoping and adequacy of the technical studies during the preparation of the EES, as well as coordination with statutory approval processes.
On 28 December 2021 the Minister for Planning required Viva Energy Gas Australia Pty Ltd to prepare an EES under the Environment Effects Act 1978 to assess the potential environmental effects of the project.
If you have any questions or feedback, please get in touch via the contact details below.
Viva Energy Gas Terminal Project queries:
Viva Energy Gas Australia Pty Ltd
☎ Phone: 1800 515 093
✉ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
EES process queries:
Impact Assessment Unit
☎ Phone: (03) 8392 5503 or (03) 8508 2276
✉ Email: email@example.com
Page last updated: 17/10/22